Monkeybone67

1969 1600-2 Center Grill Quandry

8 posts / 217 viewsLast Reply

Ok, at the risk of showing myself just how much I don't know about these cars, I have a question for the forum.

My 1969 1600-2 PO installed later model, black plastic grills on my car, post restoration.  I had an OEM aluminum center grill from a previous parts purchase and have recently acquired the aluminum side grills.  I am getting ready to send everything out for refinishing and wanted to dry fit before to avoid any issues.  The center grill that I took off is stamped, "BMW 1826675 Gerhardi" and has mounting posts spaced 180mm apart.  It fit my cars opening just fine with a nut and washer on each post.  The OEM aluminum grill that I have has no markings on it but has posts are spaced 205mm apart.  It looks like a 2002 grill from that time period but in my cars opening is a little to tall and a little to skinny for the opening.  I am assuming that it is from a different model of BMW but my quick research does not find anything that is similar.  I have included a couple of pics of the grill.  Anybody got an ideas on what model BMW this grill fits?  

20200411_152732[1].jpg

20200411_152725[1].jpg

(edited)

The grille you have pictured should fit any round taillight 1600 or 2002 up to year 1973. Lets see a picture of the front of  your car. Its not too uncommon to see a early car with a later nose installed post accident damage repair.  Are your current side grilles plastic or metal?

Edited by 72pdx02
  • Like 1

Pic attached.  Thought original as bumper slots are rectangular and later years did not have the body metal on either side of the center grill.  

Yes, the grill pictured has black slates but I will be taking all three grills back to polished aluminum.  The PO installed later model black plastic grills after the restoration.

20200411_152648[1].jpg

(edited)

That’s definitely a later nose on your 69. I have heard  an early kidney section can be grafted into a later nose if you can find one, or you can buy a complete reproduction nose from Mobile Tradition or Ireland Engineering.  NOS noses can cost up to 3k now. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/front-nose-panel-2002-early/

Edited by 72pdx02
  • Like 1

Before thanking me you might want to wait for Steve to chime in. HaHA

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

That’s definitely a later nose on your 69. I have heard  an early kidney section can be grafted into a later nose if you can find one, or you can buy a complete reproduction nose from Mobile Tradition or Ireland Engineering.  NOS noses can cost up to 3k now. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/front-nose-panel-2002-early/

+1

What he^ said! I’d guess that the owner, after the repair, did not want to install an aluminum square taillight front bumper on his ‘69 and, thus, closed the large rectangular bumper support apertures and created bumper support slots instead.

Below, my ‘76 during its Big Re-Paint.

Regards,

Steve

99926BD2-B8FF-4EB6-B720-E05955045A36.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Photographic evidence of the later model bumper support access area.  Damn fine detective work, fellas.  Much appreciated.

It appears that the early model bumpers not only had a different shaped, smaller hole but that they sat lower too.

image.jpeg

• Like 1