• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody keep their '02 in a storage unit? Considering it.

Sahara

What size did you select? Is climate controlled worth it? If there's no climate control, then around here it will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer, which is fine, but I would be concerned about moisture. 

Below, my ‘76 survived 44 winters and 44 summers in un-heated, un-cooled garages, most of that time in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Jersey. No worse for the wear.

I kept my ‘73 tii in a storage unit in Atlanta for two years. It was 10’ x 20’, which is generous for an ‘02. It was un-heated and un-cooled. Again, it was no worse for the wear.

Regards,

Steve

E07FC3D7-7E94-4AC4-9B5F-C53AC7A69C2D.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

We had some stuff in non-climate-controlled storage in Mobile for 6 months. It was attacked by mildew.

You might ask some of the self storage operators and others locally if that will be an issue.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I agree with all the wise aforementioned not-to-worry storage comments.  The most important consideration is neither size nor cold but rather the storage area being dry.  Damp is not your car's friend. 

Put 2-4 containers of DampRid in your car while it is in an enclosed space to keep it dry.  DampRid will absorb moisture (as it should) so change (dump and refill) it occasionally.  Keep a frequent eye on the car and the conditions of the DampRid b/c mold can appear and spread quickly.  I, like Ray, had a mold problem throughout the entire interior of a car while the car was stored in a garage.  DampRid solved the problem. 

shopping.png.f98507815cbd98f08dec561d58364ce4.png

• Like 2

I have two '02's in storage units currently (10' x 20's).  My '74 Inka, named "Rusty" has been in storage since 2000!...LOL!  Poor thing.  A project still waiting to happen.  I also put my great condition '76 in storage last fall simply due to lack of space at home (I'll get it out for the summer as the battery is still in there).  It will be just fine...solid as a rock...that '02 got me down to 020202 in SC and back to PA without issues (3.90 diff 4-speed on I-81 both ways kept me awake for sure!)..still considering 4 post lifts to stack vertically...other than that a larger garage is in order!  But, I can say that the storage units have been absolutely fine, but I am using an old storage unit place that is well maintained, and it's built better than most...even has electricity in the units with overhead lights.  I basically restored "Hugo" in one of these units back in 2000 to 2004!  Just make sure the units are dry.  If you are down South I'd definitely worry about mildew (depends on where you are)....up North, not so much of an issue.

• Like 3

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Once. It was like $300 a month for 5 months..10x20.

Left the windows rolled down and the battery on a tender in case it got dry enough to drive

around

For heat I plugged a little ceramic 1500 watt space heater set on 900 watts into the

light socket on the ceiling using a combo "plug/light socket". I put it into the car

and everything was toasty

Edited by iinca

4 minutes ago, iinca said:

For heat I plugged a little ceramic 1500 watt space heater set on 900 watts into the

light socket on the ceiling using a combo "plug/light socket". I put it into the car

What could go wrong?

:D

• Haha 5

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

my car might burn to the ground haha. that's why I use a ceramic heater. they've been bullet proof 

for me

on lighter note there was a guy living in one of the smaller units. he built a tall platform bed and kept all his

stuff underneath him...you could hear his music at night. He finally got caught and the cops dragged

him outta  there one day lol

Edited by iinca
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iinca said:

Once. It was like $300 a month for 5 months..10x20.

Left the windows rolled down and the battery on a tender in case it got dry enough to drive

around

Yikes. That price is double what it is here. Here’s to lots of open land I guess 

I bought a shipping 20 foot shipping container for my partially dismantled '71 2002 about 15 years ago for CND$2500 delivered and painted my choice of colours (green- blends with our heavily treed property with a white roof for better temp control). I originally thought that the inside might condense and rain down on the car so I installed 1/2" SM insulation and 1/4" OSB sheets on the ceiling, added power for lights and dehumidifier. I have not, however, needed the dehumidifier as dampness hasn't been a problem. Even the new brake rotors have only the faintest rust on their bare surfaces, much less that a daily driver left outside in the rain for 2 days. In summer the shade from the trees moderate the internal temps very well. If you have the space, and your municipality will allow it these containers they are great value. I intend to resell it when I finally get my garage built.

I know what you're thinking; why has this 02 been disassembled so long, If you actually knew the truth about how long she's been off the road you would really think I'm nuts. I retired almost a year ago, have been building a mancave shop so I can get this old friend (bought in '74, while still in University) back on the road!   

Mal

• Like 2

Mal

71 2002(late 6 Fuse)

I agree with the above comments,   I  used one for a while outside of Boston, but it always had sort of a “wet cold” feel to it. I’m sure it depends on where you live.  I looked at a classic car storage facility last Fall—it was in a re-purposed warehouse  (there might be more of those in the months ahead) which really wasn’t much more expensive than the self storage, but it had power, climate control etc., a much better option.  Plus your car gets to rub shoulders with some really great cars. In the one I looked at, there was a ‘73 malaga with a tobacco interior. The attendant told me it had 40,000 miles on it, which was believable given its condition.   The car was gorgeous. I would’ve liked to have a taken photos, but I think that is bad form in those types of places.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

I agree with the above comments,   I  used one for a while outside of Boston, but it always had sort of a “wet cold” feel to it. I’m sure it depends on where you live.  I looked at a classic car storage facility last Fall—it was in a re-purposed warehouse  (there might be more of those in the months ahead) which really wasn’t much more expensive than the self storage, but it had power, climate control etc., a much better option.  Plus your car gets to rub shoulders with some really great cars. In the one I looked at, there was a ‘73 malaga with a tobacco interior. The attendant told me it had 40,000 miles on it, which was believable given its condition.   The car was gorgeous. I would’ve liked to have a taken photos, but I think that is bad form in those types of places.

What was the name of it? I'm in Boston.

Nelson

'02ti

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!