• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Klippan 3-point seatbelts

114TYP

Hi!

I have just managed to source Klippan 3-point seatbelts for my car and it came with bunch of mounting hardware. However, I have no clue where all this goes. Does anybody in this board have any clue about what hardware goes where and in what order? Maybe some old documentation or installation instruction sheet or something?

Thanks,

K.

Most of that plethora of washers (flat and wavy), plastic caps, spacers etc, that come in the kit are placed under the two belt end brackets that bolt to the floor and B pillar and must be installed in the correct order.  They allow the belt to pivot around the bolt head.   Buckeye's references will give you the proper order of installation.  The center loop is, of course fixed, so will just require a bolt, washer and the plastic trim cap.  

Cheers

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I know your car is a 1971 Euro-spec delivered to Italy. What’s in the car now? I have the impression that all cars, by 1971, were pre-drilled and prepped for three-point front seat belts.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you take the contents of the bag it's pretty self explaining.

The plastic thingies with the hooks go on the fixture points at the top, the others go to the bottom.

The metal covers (3/4 cups) go to the center tunnel.

Screws and washers as needed.

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I know your car is a 1971 Euro-spec delivered to Italy. What’s in the car now? I have the impression that all cars, by 1971, were pre-drilled and prepped for three-point front seat belts.

Best regards,

Steve

Oldenzaal had installed some cheapo lap belts in place of original seat belts in the car which I'm now replacing with period correct ones.

2 hours ago, James Stein said:

Not all 71 2002 were pre-drilled. My May 71 was not. 

Thank, James,

So your car came with two-point belts (a.k.a., “seat belts”) and not three-point harnesses (a.k.a., shoulder harnesses) for the front seats? A U.S.-spec May 1971 needed to have three-point harnesses for front seats by that time, but they were what we refer to as “spaghetti belts”, because they were not self-retracting, and thus ended up lying all over the place. Self-retracting three-point harnesses were mandated on U.S.-spec cars by January 1, 1972. I have to assume yours is a Euro-spec car. Is that correct?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 hour ago, 114TYP said:

Oldenzaal had installed some cheapo lap belts in place of original seat belts in the car which I'm now replacing with period correct ones.

OK, so your issue is simply getting all the washers and spacers in the correct places (i.e., correct order). Buckeye’s RealOEM.com schematics should help. The key point, as Mike pointed out, is that both attachment points for the male (outboard) strap should float or pivot after everything is tightened down.

Best regards,

Steve

The B pillar anchor bolts are "shouldered" bolts so even though they are tightened to the B pillar, the belt fitting swivels on the "shouldered" bolt.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Steve, This car is new to me and I am sorting it out. I am not an expert. There was no anchor in the A pillar as I recently found out. I had one welded in just a month ago for 3 point retractable belts. The info from BMW archives listed it as a USA delivery to Hoffman Motors. Thank you, Jim

31 minutes ago, James Stein said:

Steve, This car is new to me and I am sorting it out. I am not an expert. There was no anchor in the A pillar as I recently found out. I had one welded in just a month ago for 3 point retractable belts. The info from BMW archives listed it as a USA delivery to Hoffman Motors. Thank you, Jim

Got it, Jim!

Before self-retracting belts were mandated, the drop-dead date being January 1, 1972, the upper attachment point for the front seat’s three-point harness was not located on the B pillar, but was just below the rear quarter window, between the B and C pillars. I’m confident that your car, a U.S.-spec car based on its importer, has a factory attachment point below the rear quarter window. The B pillar attachment point, however, was deemed to be less likely to generate injuries in a crash, and hence superseded the earlier attachment point.

Thanks and regards,

Steve