• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The BMW 801

Slavs

Using a license built version of the Prat & Whitney Hornet as the starting point, BMW produced the BMW 801 14 cylinder 41.8 liter radial aircraft engine during the late 30s. With a conventional 2 valve per cylinder layout, but with fuel injection  and a single stage supercharger It produced a whopping 1,550hp.The high power output engine was first intended for use on bombers and transport aircraft vs. sleek fighters as radial engines have  large front cross sections, relying and air for cooling, resulting in higher drag in comparison to conventional piston motors. But, an innovative German aircraft engineer, Kurt Tank, developed a cooling fan and a special streamlined low drag cowling, directing cool air to the cylinders while allowing hot air to escape through vents. He adopted the engine to Germany’s best WWII fighter plane, the Focke Wolf FW-190. which he designed in 1941. The engine was also innovative in that it had an engine management system, greatly facilitating flight operations. This was the precursor to modern engine management systems.

As the performance of most aircraft engines dropped off above 20,000ft, BMW developed  two stage supercharged and turbocharged versions of the engine later during the war to counter Allied high altitude bombers. These engines produced in excess of 2,500hp.

Both, BMW and Daimler Benz significantly contributed to the Nazi war effort as they produced the bulk of German aircraft engines during WWII.

While trying to kill some time during the pandemic here in LA, I've  resurrected the FW-190 in a stick and tissue rubber powered model from a Guillows kit, which may be familiar to many of you from childhood.  But, I have yet to add the Nazi markings which I may omit all together as I already drive a Nazi car.

bmw 801-2.jpg

fhc-fw-190a-5-may-2016-5.jpg

FW-190-1.jpg

FW-190-4.jpg

FW-190-3.jpg

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 3

Where were the pictures of the real FW-190 taken?  The building looks like the Air Force Museum here in Dayton, but the signage doesn't.  I know we have a big display of aircraft and engines from both sides and both wars, including a BMW jet engine from an ME 262 and a WW I LeGnome-Rhone rotary (cylinders revolve, crankshaft is stationary).  If you've not visited the Museum, you should if you're interested in military aviation.  You'll see one-of-a-kind aircraft there that are the lone survivors of their type.  Absolutely fascinating.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Mike,

The pictures are from the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum near Seattle. Washington. I've never been there, but the FW-190 in their collection is the only airworthy flying example in the world. It was resurrected from a plane the Russians shot down near Leningrad in 1943. It was found in the marshes near that city during the early 80s. And, It's pretty amazing they were able to get it back into its present condition. There are more BMW 801 engines laying around than old air frames. So, I suppose that helped a lot. A lot of the aircraft engine building techniques they applied during the 1930s such as forging and surface hardening were passed down to our M10 motors. Unfortunately, BMW no longer applies those techniques to its more modern motors.

It seems there are multiple fuel injection pumps on the motor. I wonder if they are Kugelfischer ? Maybe this is the origin of the "tii".

It must have taken me 60 hrs. to build this thing.

Edited by Slavs

1 hour ago, jireland2002 said:

Nice work on the model.  I grew up south of Dayton.  In the old days the planes at the museum were open an I could climb inside.  You can't do that any more.

Thanks Jeff,

It seems that a lot of engineering that went into aircraft engines was eventually passed down to the automotive sector. I believe this is the case with supercharging, turbocharging, fuel injection, engine management, multi valve engine heads, chrome lined piston rings, forged cranks & rods and surface hardening etc.  

As far as the models, I started building these things within the last 10 years. When I was a kid I tried, but I think these kits are challenging for an adult, much less a kid. I don't think they were meant for kids in the first place. By the time you trim and sort everything out on the model, you usually end up damaging it. Then you repair it, and it's ready to fly, kind of like building a race car. These days there are so many cheap electric motors, gearboxes and Micro RC gear available. And, you can build them as a lightweight RC model; kind of like tailor building your 02.

Edited by Slavs