What's this vacuum line for on my 76?

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Fuel return line probably, Robert. Wait, is it the evaporative canister line from the trunk (hanging from the rear parcel shelf)?

Best regards,

Steve

It's a small plastic line.  

Fuel return line is connected to my regulator with a filter, so definitely not that. 

Yes, I have that white plastic thing in the trunk.  Is that a charcoal canister? 

I have a feeling it's emission-related. 

• Like 1

It's a line that goes to the evaporator canister in the trunk. The evaporator canister's job is to capture and regulate air pressure in the gas tank. Excess fumes connect back to the charcoal canister probably missing from your car. I connected mine to a fitting in the air filter cannisters so these gas fumes would be sucked into the carb and burned.

• Like 3

yup, that plastic line is the tank vent.  My car did not have the charcoal canister when I got it and the PO put a screw in that little plastic line.  I found that screw after I'd reconnected the return line to the tank and started pressurizing it.  The gas smell was a clue, as well as the wooosh of air when I took the gas cap off.

I added a nipple to the valve cover breather fitting on the little Weber filter, to suck the fumes into the carb.  Later, I went to the stock filter, which already has a nipple for that purpose.  (although it was originally connected to the line after the charcoal canister did its job).

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

yup, that plastic line is the tank vent.  My car did not have the charcoal canister when I got it and the PO put a screw in that little plastic line.  I found that screw after I'd reconnected the return line to the tank and started pressurizing it.  The gas smell was a clue, as well as the wooosh of air when I took the gas cap off.

I added a nipple to the valve cover breather fitting on the little Weber filter, to suck the fumes into the carb.  Later, I went to the stock filter, which already has a nipple for that purpose.  (although it was originally connected to the line after the charcoal canister did its job).

That's how I learned about it too. I could barely get the gas cap off due to the negative pressure in my gas tank. The PO had also put a screw in the end of the line.

• Like 2