9 posts / 221 viewsLast Reply

conkitchen had this photo on his cool thread yesterday: 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/259437-if-you-dont-know-what-this-is-you-should/

It reminded me that I need an oil line for my spare KF pump.  I've searched threads and parts explosions on the RealOEM site, but I find no reference to part numbers for this oil line.  It appears to be made of some special material, can anybody shed some light on this?  Source for that hose material?  Suitable equivalent?  Where it appears in drawings?

726D5AC5-0141-4AFC-AAB4-44189FF13953.jpeg.143ed7e5be3857896e49dc9eb54a583e.jpeg

seems to last forever...they specced great plastics back in the 70s

(edited)
2 hours ago, dlacey said:

seems to last forever...they specced great plastics back in the 70s

Thanks dlacey.  Unfortunately, the PO cut the line in the middle when he pulled the pump.

With that link I was able to get the part on the W&N site:

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/hose-for-520i-from-10-1975-up-you-need-1-for-1-car-11-055-12.html

Ouch, with shipping that's an $80 part for me.  I have a length of hard(ish) plastic hose; I think I will compare it for suitability.

Coincidentally, I just clicked on the image of a pretty Atlantik(?) 02, and it turned out to be your Tii.  As much as I love my iconic Inka, I think Atlantik and NachtBlau are fantastic colors for the 02 and E9 chassis.  Pretty car, and those front quarter bumpers are too cool!😍

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
additional info

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

... Coincidentally, I just clicked on the image of a pretty Atlantik(?) 02, and it turned out to be your Tii.  As much as I love my iconic Inka, I think Atlantik and NachtBlau are fantastic colors for the 02 and E9 chassis.

We, not just I, are so easily distracted by a pretty... car! 😉

It’s odd that W&N only lists the supply line under the 520i... 🤔

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

We have some pretty good used lines.  How about $25.  Or we have one made up with SS braded hose at $40

• Thanks 1

(edited)

A couple of decades ago that line somehow got abraded and developed a pinhole leak.

So I made my own using the original fittings, a length of steel brake line, and some JB Weld to secure the fittings into the line.  No problems since.

I didn't like the way the original plastic line was routed "way out in space" where it could be hit, so I bent the tubing to get it tucked-in close to the KF and out of the way.

Here's a picture I just found in my archives .....

image.png.8880dd11b916efc7933000f103a12985.png

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 1

Didn't @kaptanoglu have an issue with this line and he posted pics of his new line on here?

As I recall, the fitting on the inlet end of the line has an orifice to control the flow and reduce the pressure in the line and is probably the reason for a simple plastic hose.

Yes the factory fitting has fairly small opening.  Our hose also has a reduced size opening.

Anyone replace this oil line prophylactically?  After working hard for 46+ years, these lines might get tired; however, maybe they don't.