02TurboMI

Opinion? CATuned "2002 Monster Rear End"

16 posts / 656 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I haven’t used either but 2002 underground has a similar option but without the core charge/shipping yours in. 

https://www.2002underground.com/products.html

the increased adjustability might add some performance but I think the main benefit would be upgrading to a medium case diff for high hp cars. 

Edited by Mike G
Edit

Thinking about the different levels of input/output shafts of 2002 and E30 diffs. I guess any engineer designs a straight crank-trans-drive-diff-input shaft line. This seems nearly impossible to adjust in an 02. Maybe it's to put distance washers to the rear trans suspension and the center bearing. Probably this doesn't matter when not driving a lot but to me this is not 100% clean.

hen

I think worth it.

Medium LSDs you can get for less than $500.  Whereas E21s are $1000.  There's $500 savings right there.  And now you are putting out 200+hp (like an S2000 motor or turbo motor), it pretty much is mandatory.

not to take away from the CATune option ...

but i have an 'underground' kit in my car ... and it is great ...

we needed a low-number diff to go with the 4-speed and electric conversion

easy to install and minimally invasive 

lots of medium-case E30 diffs out there https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.php/Differential

the car is not a crazy performance build ... 170hp/180ftlb ... but the taller diff options are what led me to the new rear-end

ADDED BENEFIT: i am able to run an electric speedo off the diff-pinwheel ... so no need for GPS or having my speed off by a huge percentage ... just swapped my silver dollar mechanical speedo guts with a DVO

(edited)
13 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

@bianchini has one in his car.

Hopefully he'll chime in.

In the meantime, you can read what was said about it here

Tom

Yup! I got it in my 74. overall, its a nice config. Here are my notes on it:

- I had to take the half shafts back because they or whoever did the drilling spaced the bolt pattern incorrectly, but it wasn't a huge deal. no extra charge. 

- The camber and toe adjusters are the exact same ones as ireland engineering offers with the eccentric rings (https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/adjustable-rear-toe-kit/). personally not a fan as I feel like there isn't enough adjustment range. Also, I 100% think they installed the toe adjusters incorrectly. you cant access the adjusters when the subframe is bolted in. I've tried all sorts of ways, but I can't access them. The little "edges" that hold the rings in, get in the way of getting a wrench onto them. I'm probably going to put in the other ones ireland offers: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/adjustable-rear-toe-kit-posi-lock-style/

- I think the 2002undeground version is probably "nicer," but i've only installed the CA tuned one, so I'm just going off picture reference. 

- I REALLY like how the 2002 undergound one removed the holder/opening where the diff sits (pic attached of what im talking about) 

suspension.png

Edited by bianchini
  • Like 1

(edited)

Here is my opinion on the matter as I once was looking at this option for my S14 build. I ended up scrapping the idea as many FAQers chimed in who had been there and done that to share it was overkill and only would add unnecessary weight. Again, my plans were just to add a lightly modified S14 - so nothing crazy in terms of power and torque. I had created essentially this very set up but with a modified e30 M3 subframe, e30 M3 4.10 LSD, and Z3M trailing arms and brakes. The set up was nuts, looked like it belonged on the car as it was all reinforced with those absolutely massive rear Z3M brakes (would have likely required 17" wheels to clear them). When asked about the weight, I threw it on a scale and was shocked. The components weighed almost 2x that of the stock configuration and didn't offer any real perks over the alternative. Also, seeing as I had 16" Alpinas to use on this car and those didn't clear the brakes easily, I had many reasons to trade those parts for some other goodies. I was incredibly happy with modifying and interchanging 2002 and 320 bits and adding a rear disc brake kit as my final configuration. Weight savings, wheel choices, ease of finding replacement parts when things wore or needed attention, etc. 

Good luck on the project. 

Edited by oh2ryan
  • Like 1

(edited)

i was looking at the underground one also...nice piece.

but...so far i have 8k miles of serious track abuse with a modified S14 on 2002 diff and halfshafts.  zero issues.

so my opinion...for a street 2002 with under 250hp....not worth it.  it is a really cool piece of kit though.  if i ever blow up all the built 02 diffs i have...i am gonna get the underground one.  just because.

Edited by mlytle

I also have the underground kit on my s14. Ken Sears is great to deal with and I am very happy with the product.

10 minutes ago, mlytle said:

i was looking at the underground one also...nice piece.

but...so far i have 8k miles of serious track abuse with a modified S14 on 2002 diff and halfshafts.  zero issues.

My 13b rotary 2002 produces some big hp.

11 years, well over 60k miles total and (3) 2002 LS diffs later I will stick with the factory engineered system.

Sure I can dial up the boost beat on it and break a diff but why would I do that. Rolling into throttle is faster on the track.

Rear stub axles are a known weak point, old parts should be renewed. Your own rear wheel passing you can wreck your day.

I am sure the companies mentioned above make great products, the pictures look stout.

(edited)
1 minute ago, gary32 said:

forgive me another user error on my new lap top

Edited by gary32

What are your plans for HP/Torque and how will you drive it?

Drag racing with hard launches?  Sure, go for it.  Or better yet slap in a Ford 9" (somewhat kidding)

For street use it seems to be serious overkill.

As a data point... Unfortunately 02 Underground is no longer producing rear subframes or trailing arms. Been bothering him for a while about doing some work and make me some custom trailing arms. 

Not enough demand/quantity, and supplier issues I think were the driving factor. 

19 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

As a data point... Unfortunately 02 Underground is no longer producing rear subframes or trailing arms.

I wouldn't say we are no longer producing rear subframes or trailing arms, more of taking a needed break and reassessing future plans.  I have really enjoyed producing and suppling these and other products to the 2002 community for the past 10 years so don't count us out.

Thank you,

Ken

2002 UNDERGROUND

fullsizeoutput_e14.thumb.jpeg.92a9a270b3139bef7a5b96d6754f1cef.jpegfullsizeoutput_ebd.thumb.jpeg.8162eed94d36caa5f4aef85c1f8c786e.jpeg

• Like 2