scatman75

Door adjustment help needed

21 posts / 573 viewsLast Reply

You might try replacing that kernel with a piece of fuel hose until you get a new one. 

Fuel hose on my E24 door latch made a big difference vs the kernel.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

Compare how the right side of the car looks and door operation doing the same checks. Check your door hinges for slop, and check the latch fasteners for being tight. Judging the misalignment of the left quarter panel mouldings under the rear quarter window and upper quarter panel moulding, there perhaps may have been a prior accident repair in its past to door/quarter panel. To rule that out y go to a subject matter expert at a reputable body shop. Good luck and I look forward follow up.

You are correct in your observation, not sure of the accident part but I am sure this car has been repainted by some slop who had little regard but that's ok because EVENTUALLY I will get after a proper paint job, for now I just needed to have the door close properly so I don't have to slam it and it bounce almost every time. The best thing is that this car runs, drives and stops...have had it for 3 years doing a little at a time..you all should have seen it when I bought it lmaoo

7 minutes ago, ray_ said:

You might try replacing that kernel with a piece of fuel hose until you get a new one. 

Fuel hose on my E24 door latch made a big difference vs the kernel.

Cheers,

Ive heard that works, I do have 2 on order should be here next week...so ill wait until then

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

The kernal always helps!

The seal will conform some, too- especially with heat cycles in the summer.

It might be the angle of the pic, but you look like you're hanging low...

And yes, I have NEVER worked on it and gotten

to a point where I've said- "Hey, that's perfect, I think I'll stop now!

t

You are correct its a bit low but I couldn't get it better than where I have it now, the seal was done a while ago...I should have taken the time to adjust the door then but I was honestly a little inexperienced...I have no trouble with motor and mechanical work but when it comes to making it pretty I lack some of the skills.. learning slowly but surely

By the way, the kernels are oriented....

I forget  which way fits best...

... sometimes neither!

:D

any door  adjustment should be done with the door panel off so you can get to the 6 hinge bolts, loosen all the quarter window bolts at the bottom bracket and the 2 at the top of the door, the latch receiver should be snug, not tight so you can adjust it with a plastic,  dead blow hammer , with all bolts loose, close the door , is the door  chrome even at top to quarter trim? adjust ,are the door gaps even top to bottom, front to rear? adjust,  I did mine with no body latch a ratchet strap  from door to other side of car, a block and  jack at bottom of door to hold up loose door, when all gaps and hight are correct crawl over seats and tighten all bolts, remove ratchet strap close door with no latch are the gaps and hights correct? if so install body latch receiver snug 4  screws, ck corse hight, tap to correct hight, come door is it tight or loose , there are 2 latch points in the door latch, be on the second, tap receiver in to tighten ,out to loosen,  its a pain but thats how to get perfect gaps and correct glass height

• Like 1