• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door adjustment help needed

scatman75

I cannot for the life of my figure out how to adjust the door properly looking for some guidance this is the besy ive got so far. Im not sure if things are out of whack or if im doing something wrong, i do have some luck closing the door with the window down 

20200324_224613.jpg

20200324_225155.jpg

You also can try moving the latch plate (on the door frame edge) inward; loosen all the screws and gently move it inwards a few mm at a time.  If the latch plate (especially the round part that the door latch grips when the door's closed) is worn, even pushing the latch plate all the way inward won't give you an aligned door.  

Get the door aligned with the quarter panel first, then mess with the door glass fitment if necessary.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here's a how to make it all fit...

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

It would help to know...

• How long has the door been out of alignment?
  • Did you just replace the door seal?
  • What brand seal did you procure (OEM, URO. other?) if you did replace them?
  • How does the door close without the seal? Do the door gap appear even?
  • How well does the seal fit in the channels? Is there any excess material? Binding? or pulling out of the channels?

Answers to these questions will help you and FAQ members troubleshoot your door closure issues.

Also,

• Replace the acorn cap on the door latch (it looks worn out)
  • Adjust the door first, adjust the window fit second
  • Like 1

Unless you get lucky plan on a bit of time to get right. This activity will suck all the time you can throw at it!

But once you get in the zen of it, it starts to make sense. 

But it's not easy.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Oh, I dunno- it's not hard, but yea, it's just a time- sucker to get it to where you say 'dammit, that looks ok'

From the one pic- replace your korn kernal at the tip of your latch.  

Then remove the striker entirely, and the inner door panel, and raise the door until the upper trim aligns.

Then fuss with the gaps to get it to 'best fit' again, and raise/lower it again to realign.

You may have to shim the upper or lower hinge to get the front edge to do what you want,

or the lower rear corner, or some- such hijinks.

Then reinstall the latch, and get it aligned perfectly with your newly- perfect door.  Then try to secure it in that position.

Now you get to readjust your vent window and glass to fit.

See?  Easy!!!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Just a quick update spent a few hrs trying at this after coming close to throwing a ratchet across the garage this is what i came up with-

I was able to get the door aligned to an acceptable standard

I removed the striker plate completely aligned the door the best i could and bolted everything back up 

Next i do agree the kernel has seen better days, so i ordered some replacements i would imagine the newer ones will engage the latch sooner..aiding in door closure 

For those asking they are URO replacement seals which i just finished trimming because the door was rubbing in a few places. This car is a driver and hardly sees the rain so im not worried about door seals for water

Spent enough time in there tonight--Next on my list is to make sure the glass is adjusted correctly and replace a few of those grommets that go in the latch/lock mechanism and she should be ready to go back together

This has to be one of the most time consuming jobs ive done so far..but a little progress is better than none 

• Like 1

The kernal always helps!

The seal will conform some, too- especially with heat cycles in the summer.

It might be the angle of the pic, but you look like you're hanging low...

And yes, I have NEVER worked on it and gotten

to a point where I've said- "Hey, that's perfect, I think I'll stop now!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Compare how the right side of the car looks and door operation doing the same checks. Check your door hinges for slop, and check the latch fasteners for being tight. Judging the misalignment of the left quarter panel mouldings under the rear quarter window and upper quarter panel moulding, there perhaps may have been a prior accident repair in its past to door/quarter panel. To rule that out y go to a subject matter expert at a reputable body shop. Good luck and I look forward follow up.

2002 doors are a tough nut to crack, how i do it, measure the  body edge of fenders to rear quarters at top and bottom are they the same? if they are thats a big start, if not the fenders or quarters have been  changed and are not correctly positioned, next the doors can be moved about 3/8 front to rear, also up and down, the photo is on an angle , the trim at the top of door should be even with hood and rear side wndow trim, yours is not, I use a vernier caliper to ck door gaps left to right  top and bottom and average them, my tii has about 2-3 hours making them match left to right, when the gaps are correct, bending the door with a block and ratchet strap is  how you get the doors flush to body when closed, I do all this with used seals,  new seals  will be fater and need to be installed in warm weather ,   its 50 year of working on them

• Like 1