• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six fuse cars: which fuse for the emergency flasher circuit

Mike Self

The title says it all.  And the factory shop manual doesn't reveal this bit of information--at least not in the breakdown of fuse box circuits on page 61-13/1. 

If anyone out there has access to a six fuse car (mine's stored away and inaccessible) can you pull a fuse and check?  I think it's fuse 4; fuses 1-3 are parking and tail lights, and fuses 5 & 6 are live only with the ignition on.  The emergency flashers function regardless of whether the ignition is off or on.  

TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the quick response, Hal.  You'd have thought that little tidbit would be included in the shop manual section that broke down the fuse assignment for the three fuse box setups...

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike,

Check on the driver's inner fender just below the opening where the wiring loom exits the fuse box. My early '71 had an inline fuse holder there for a bullet ceramic fuse. All indications were that it was original; it is fed from the hot (unfused) side of the fuse box and goes to the hazard switch. Although it's not on the wiring diagrams I have, those diagrams do show the flasher switch terminal 30 being fed from the hot side of fuse 4.

A few months ago I tracked my inoperative hazard lights to that fuse being blown. Seemed to me like a good match to the tacked-on nature of the hazard switch in the dash tray... 

-Dave

Edit: Hal's diagram also shows the switch being fed from the unfused side of fuse 4, but I think #32 on his diagram may be my inline fuse.

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

56 minutes ago, dlhoovler said:

Hal's diagram also shows the switch being fed from the unfused side of fuse 4, but I think #32 on his diagram may be my inline fuse

Yes, that is a "Floating Fuse" according to the component description.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Thanks, everyone:

Tahoe Don:  that was exactly my problem--the hazard flashers aren't listed on either the fusebox sticker or in the owner's manual.

Dave & Hal:  In nearly 51 years of ownership and a lot of tinkering on the car, I've not seen the fuse you describe...but then again, my hazard flashers have always functioned.  Next time I'm near my '69, I'll look for that "floating fuse."  It does make sense that it was an add-on, as they weren't required on Euro cars for a couple more years.  Kinda like the wiring harness for the emissions stuff on the later cars--separate from the main harness and connected with only one wire.

Cheers and thanks again.

mike