• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronal Kleeblatts 13x6

Have been lusting after a set of 13x6 ronal kleeblatts. Before I go down the slippery slope a hunting a set down. Do they fit a narrow body with lightly rolled front fenders, stock rear and volvo girlings? Running ground control coilovers. Adjustable front and rear. Tires 185/60/13? Also do they need special lugs? I see Federal ss595s are back would that be a good suggested tire?

Finally anyone have a set they might part with if they work? Currently on E30 steelies and want to up the look. Thanks

Ronal+Kleeblatt.jpeg

IMG_20170516_172713878.jpg

On my 69 1600 I have the 5 1/2" X 13" Versions of the same wheels that I found at the local U Pick Part for $25 / each during the late 90s when these cars were all over the wrecking yards. The original Ronal lugs are aluminum or some light alloy. They made two versions of the lug; short and tall.I never found a full set of original lugs, so I made up by using similar chrome plated steel lugs found in many auto parts stores. Each wheel has two of each. You can zoom in the photo. The anodized gold lugs are the original light alloy Ronal lugs - tall version. I never measured the the exact diameter of the original lug, but I should compare it with the new lugs which seem to fit right. They are close, if not exact. There are some posts on the FAQ relating to replacement lugs for these wheels. I tried purchasing the original lugs from Ronal USA, but they didn't have them  back in 2000.

I've been using 205/60 X 13 Tires, ST lowering springs and Bilstein shocks with a 22mm, 19mm sway bar set. Up front I have old school 3/8" thick - 1/2 degree camber plates which also add caster. The -1/2 degree camber plates help in  tucking in the fat tires. My fender lips up front are not rolled. And, I never had any rubbing issues front or back. I rolled the fender lips in the rear back in 1990, but I shouldn't have. The rear tires would tuck in even with the fender lips left in place. The draw back of the camber plates is that when using 185/70 X 13 tires, they will slightly rub on the inside wall of the the wheel well, but only on full turn. Some brands of 205/60 X 13 s will do the same. Although, it is very minor. What is the off set of your wheels? I believe mine are either ET18 or ET19. Those 6" x 13" wheels may work, but your rear fender lips may have to be rolled, although I'm not sure.

When the +1 14" and +2 15" wheels became readily available during the late 80s and early 90s, many people were throwing away wheels like this. They were no longer in vogue. That includes the Campagnolos, Cromadoras and others. That is one of the reasons they are hard to find. They ended up in the wrecking yards where most 02s and many other classics met their demise. That was sad. I've noticed, though, that the 13" wheels survived in Europe where there are more of them.

The 205/60 X 13" tires are nearly 3% shorter in diameter compared to stock, but if you use the 185/60 x 13" , you will shorten your gearing by 5% compared to stock, which is quite a bit. I wouldn't recommend it.

This car was my primary driver for 20 years. I may have clocked  in excess of 300,000 miles on the car ( 1 full engine rebuild and 1 refreshment -matching number original block ). It's a stock 1600cc with 4 speed trans. I didn't see it as a priority spending too much on refinishing the wheels, so I just used dull aluminum rattle can Krylon with clear to refinish the wheels back in 2000. It's time to refinish them again. The car is also due for another engine rebuild this spring. I repainted it back in 2002 with a high quality, high solids  single stage urethane paint (Chroma I) by Dupont. It's still holding a high gloss after spending half its life outdoors in the sun. I used 2 coats of paint, about 6-7 quarts. Paint was expensive, nearly costing $800 in materials, but the guy who sprayed it only charged me $125. He did such a good job that it didn't need color sanding. I've installed a swan neck mirror and dash, wheel and seats from a 67 I found at the wrecking yard. The top portion of the dash is not cracked. The three piece non cracked dash with all the chrome trim cost me about $30 while the wheel was about $10. I also had to replace the center console. I bought the car back in 1990 from the original owner for $900 and drove it home. Yes, I've gotten off topic, but I mention all this to illustrate just how much this hobby has changed in the direction of "Ridiculous Expensive".  We had a lot of fun with these cars, and on a budget as students. I drove this car all over the state. I guess I'm just old school.

11.jpg

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 2

Slavs’ experience, as described above, is extremely valuable as a response to your inquiry, but the 6” version, besides being 1/2” wider, is, I believe, ET13 — verses ET19 for the 5.5” version — and I don’t know how the Kleeblatts respond to “big brake” options.

In short, I would not consider Slavs experience with the 5.5” Kleeblatts a “green light“ for 6” Kleeblatts over Volvo calipers. I’d consider it a “proceed with caution” light.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have stock brake calipers. The Volvo calipers are monsters. And, I agree with Steve about proceeding with caution. I have a couple of extra Kleeblatts. And, if you're around LA, I'll let you try them on for size over your Volvo calipers. Or, I could take a measurement of the inside diameter, if you'd like.  I had Volvo calipers on another car with braided brake lines and vented rotors. It stopped like a modern car. But, I had big 14" wheels on that car. The whole set-up was heavy, though. They're probably a must if you have a 200hp car. Steve, I love those Ronal center caps on the pic. I know I'll end up paying more for them than I paid for the wheels, that is if I ever find a set. I've also seen these wheels in 14", probably intended for the NK cars, but they are also good for the 02. Somebody sold a set either here or on e-bay within the last 5-7 years. They were also made in 14" or 15" for the Alfas, but Alfas have different lug spacing.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

I have a set of Federals in 205/60 x 13 on my other car. They are available from time to time from a distributor who sells them for the Sprint racing series cars, but they are not race compound. That class mandates these street tires for whatever reason. However, they have a good stiff sidewall and handle really well, probably one of the best 205/60 x 13 tires I've ever had. It's just been difficult obtaining them. They are readily available overseas, though.

2 hours ago, Slavs said:

... I've also seen these wheels in 14", probably intended for the NK cars, but they are also good for the 02. Somebody sold a set either here or on e-bay within the last 5-7 years...

That’s a great idea. I believe there was a 5.5 x 14, and probably a 6 x14, size in a 4 x 100 PCD for the NK!

My experience with Ronal Kleeblatts — I, too, have a set of 5.5’s, which I purchased out of Germany...cheaply — is that the rims are rare in the U.S., but relatively plentiful in Germany. I think I paid more for the shipping than for the rims!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

10 hours ago, Slavs said:

When the +1 14" and +2 15" wheels became readily available during the late 80s and early 90s, many people were throwing away wheels like this. They were no longer in vogue. That includes the Campagnolos, Cromadoras and others. That is one of the reasons they are hard to find. They ended up in the wrecking yards where most 02s and many other classics met their demise. That was sad. I've noticed, though, that the 13" wheels survived in Europe where there are more of them.

At least in Germany this is probably because of their strict rules about car modification, when you change the wheels on your 1600, you would want a copy of the certificate from Ronal  who paid to have them Abe or tuv approved for your model of car. Without that certificate it would not be easy to pass inspection.

I'm running a set of 13 x 5.5" wide (ET 23) Kleeblats on my 69.  They easily clear the 74tii calipers.  Tires are Sumitomo brand 185-70-13.  I've experienced some slight tire rub on the right rear (H&R Sport springs with 3 dot rubber spring spacers).

20180629_160613_zpsxmf3mjds.jpg

20160709_115622_zps0kgrv0ow.jpg

• Like 4

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You must have slightly tweaked those BMW center hub caps to get them to fit snug. Otherwise they are a little too small in diameter to fit the wheels  I have plenty of them. Maybe, that's the way to go.

That's a very clean 2002. It appears to be an early 69.

Edited by Slavs

7 hours ago, Slavs said:

You must have slightly tweaked those BMW center hub caps to get them to fit snug. Otherwise they are a little too small in diameter to fit the wheels  I have plenty of them. Maybe, that's the way to go.

That's a very clean 2002. It appears to be an early 69.

The center caps were purchased new from Blunt Tech. They fit very tight to the (powder coated) wheels.

Thanks for the kind comments. Car is a 2nd series 69 built May 30, 1969.  Short neck diff, dual circuit brakes, ribbed dash, etc.  Many more details in my Archived Project blog “2002ti Wannabe project begins”.

Jim

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I don't have any definite answers to GirtAllerton original questions since I'm running wider wheels, but I love Kleeblatts so I thought I would chime in. Im currently running 13x7's up front and they clear my Volvo calipers no problem. Not sure if that translates to the narrower sizes.

Awesome looking wheels none the less. I took two years of waiting to find my staggered set of 13x7 13x8 Kleeblatts. I had them shipped from Germany from a guy who usually sells to Opel enthusiasts.

Original center caps are even harder to find. I ended up just taking some measurements of the center bore and buying a set of generic ones on eBay and then ordered Ronal center cap decals from https://3dcarstickers.com/ 

Regards,

Jason

IMG_4504.JPG

• Like 7

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602