• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I fully disassemble the wiper motor assembly?

Dake

The wiper motor on my '69 has been acting up. Sometimes it will cancel, other times it won't. I removed it to find that the wiring has been damaged where it enters the cylinder. I prefer repairing over replacing, so I'd like to fix it.

I'm not even sure what to call the cylinder let alone how to service it. I removed the two screws from the cover and it seems to be attached internally. Before I break something, I thought I'd ask the experts. How does the cover come off? Perhaps more importantly, do you think this is worth fixing?

wiper motor cylinder.jpg

wiper motor wiring 2.jpg

wiper motor wiring.jpg

Edited by Dake

1969 2002

Doubles as a work bench and lunch table

There's two parts: the motor and the park mechanism. I think you wanna access the park mechanism: to do that remove all the screws around the edge of the metal plate (including the cable grip), dont touch that centre screw. Now the electrical connections and contact sliders will lift away with the metal plate...it should be oily & dry in there - you can clean-up the face of the contact wheel and lubricate everything with light grease.. Your motor looks different than later types, but still I imagine there's two long screws that hold the end-plates to eachother or maybe 4 screws that hold the end plates to the body. If you remove the screws then likely you can pull the body & permanent magnets away leaving the armature and the brush plate in-place. Service commutator & brushes, lubricate bearings & reassemble.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

PM me--I did a column on this repair on my own '69, and it might help you with both the problem diagnosis and the repair.  The early motors are a bit different from the later ones, but are still repairable--if you're patient.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

as to the wire covering, that's just the motor wiring with a woven jacket over it.  You could de-

solder it and re- jacket it, or even just tape it up.

But- from the looks of the poor thing, it would greatly benefit from you taking it apart,

cleaning it up, regreasing it and maybe even putting in new brushes.

You don't need BMW brushes- anything that's carbon and the right shape will work.

The last one I did has Black and Decker drill brushes in it.

You only have 3 electric motors in your 2002, might as well give 'em some love.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Wiper not shutting off may be a problem with the park mechanism. There are sliding contacts with an "electric cam" system (printed copper traces on a disk that make and break contact as the disk rotates) inside the flat housing. It's been a long time since I had one apart, but you should be able to figure out what the problem is. In my case, the contacts had worn so much the leaf springs were touching the electric cam traces on the disk in ways that they weren't supposed to. I bent the leaf springs to correct the clearances, and it started working correctly again. It worked for several years in my daily driver like that, and then I sold the car.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

18 hours ago, TobyB said:

You only have 3 electric motors in your 2002, might as well give 'em some love.

t

Damn, 

it took me waaayyyyyy longer to figure out the third than it should of.

Gotta be something stock on every year.

Can't be Tii/regular specific.

Clock/tach....technically-maybe.  Yes, they are electrically driven mechanisms, but not it.

Edited by 2002Targa

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa