• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing the dash

Dosky

My Tii has an improper 3 piece dash in it right now.  I'm pulling it and installing a proper 1 piece dash, any tips?  Also, I'll be selling the 3 piece.  Any suggestions of value?  It has one small crack from the left side defrost vent.

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

• Like 1

To be totally honest, I'm not sure what the difference is between a 2 piece and 3 piece.  It looks like the portion above the gauge cluster is one piece, the top with defroster vents is one piece and the tray area is a single piece.  Is this correct?

I don’t see “speed bumps” on the parcel shelf. If that’s correct, the lower portion is quite early and U.S. only, The fully-padded dashboard — i.e., no chrome trim — was rolled out in late 1967, probably October-ish 1967, in response to revised U.S. crash standards which had a January 1, 1968 effective date.  The padded lower section without “speed bumps”, ridges to stop items from sliding laterally, was only used on U.S. cars from October-ish 1967 until the ridges appeared. I believe the ridges appeared in 1969; Mike S. knows either precisely or approximately when that transition occurred, but I cannot remember what Mike’s guidance on this issue for the life of me! ?

If your tii should have a one-piece dash, that indicates it’s a U.S. 1974 model (I doubt it’s a Euro-spec car given that strictly-U.S. dash that later found its way into the car), consistent with the “cross hairs” instruments and faux-wood bezel. The installation of a three-piece in a square taillight is relatively rare. Is the emergency flasher switch at the left-end of the dashboard operable? That placement was pre-Modell 71, meaning, largely, before April 1971. If it’s operable, someone had to do some fussin’, as the location and wiring are different from those in a square taillight!

This is good recycling: three-piece dashes are a vanishing breed and this one looks nice!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Dosky said:

To be totally honest, I'm not sure what the difference is between a 2 piece and 3 piece.

Three piece dash:  lower section (tray, glove box area and heater controls); upper section (directly below the windshield plus the vertical area where the clock goes on a tii); third piece (instrument binnacle).  Two piece dash:  upper section and instrument binnacle are one piece; the lower section is the same.

21 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I believe the ridges appeared in 1969; Mike S. knows either precisely or approximately when that transition occurred, but I cannot remember what Mike said for the life of me!

My early February production '69 '02 has no ridges/ribs on the dash shelf--I seem to recall cars built a month or two later have the ribs.  My suspicion is that the change was made in March, possibly at VIN 1665200, where the changes from 6 to 8 bolt crankshafts and spring to diaphragm clutch pressure plates occurred.  (BMW had a habit of making small production changes simultaneously, probably to placate the parts folks)  Real OEM doesn't help.   I don't have my paper parts book handy--and I'm not sure both lower dash sections are even shown there. 

So Dosky, your dash comes from a car that predates March 1969.  It's also missing the little end caps that cover the side window defroster outlets (elimimated with the two piece dashes).  And I hope your dash incorporates the four lever heater controls that were used on squarelights.  If not, you'll have some additional fun re-wiring your heater blower controls.  They were the lower right knob on the car your dash originally came from, but were the fourth lever on late 72 and later cars, including your squarelight.  Oh, and the glovebox face may be a bit different between early and late dashes.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The emergency flasher switch is not operable.  The car had the proper switch in the console.  I'm not sure what all the shop did to install this dash.  It is in good shape, not perfect but I'd say better than a lot that I have seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike said:

... My early February production '69 '02 has no ridges/ribs on the dash shelf--I seem to recall cars built a month or two later have the ribs.  My suspicion is that the change was made in March, possibly at VIN 1665200, where the changes from 6 to 8 bolt crankshafts and spring to diaphragm clutch pressure plates occurred.  (BMW had a habit of making small production changes simultaneously, probably to placate the parts folks)  Real OEM doesn't help.   I don't have my paper parts book handy--and I'm not sure both lower dash sections are even shown there....

Thank you, Mike!

I’ve gotta remember it: March 1969! I actually remember that your car is a February example, but I didn’t remember that your car has no ridges on the parcel shelf!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)