• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Vibration/Knocking...

1972_Targa

Happy Saturday.

Last Sunday, I started experiencing a subtile vibration from the front area of the passenger side on my 1971 2002 Pickup Conversion. Speed of the knocking increased with the speed of the car. Clutch in or out made no difference. Almost sounded like stones in tire tread but louder. I jacked up the passenger front tire, but could find anything weird. Tire spun freely with no noise.

I let things sit for a couple of days, and had my mechanic Greg put the pickup up on his lift. Same knocking on my short drive there. We couldn't find anything out of whack. We then went for a spirited test drive with no knocking what so ever. Crazy.

I've driven with no weirdness for the last couple days. Greg's theory is that the shock is worn and can't properly support the strut. The result is that the strut is bottoming out,  causing metal-to-metal contact and the knocking sound. By lifting the pickup and relieving pressure on the shock, there's temporary relief from the knocking. 

Make sense? Appreciated...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Have you checked your motor mounts?  Early cars (and perhaps yours) had a rather flimsy right side mount--just a single piece of folded over metal--plenty thick but subject to stress cracking, allowing the engine to list to starboard.  The air cleaner will then hit the underside of the hood and the whole driveline will be thrown out of alignment.

I'd also check the tranny mount--the OEM ones are kinda small and will turn to black goo, allowing misalignment between tranny and driveshaft, and also allowing the shift linkage to hit the tunnel housing and/or the exhaust.  And while you're under there, check the exhaust support bracket (fastened to the tranny) and its little rubber mounts--also candidates for black goo-ism.

Let us know whatcha find...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, thanks. I'll check all these possibilities out.

That said, I'm not sure how lifting the car would have remedied any of these conditions. The knocking is clearly coming from the right side of the car.

Appreciated as always. 

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

I wish you lived near me, I have a Steelman ChassisEar - it's a rotary switch with a headset on one end, and 6 long long leads with big alligator clips that have microphone pickups in them. It's a tool that gathers dust most all of the time, but then when you need it, it saves so much time. Ask around where you're at, maybe you'll find a local version of me. 

Barrett 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

The shock doesn’t fit well with the knock picking up with speed. That implies something rotating. My guess would be sway bar bushing except for the speed issue as well. Maybe brakes/wheel bearing. I’d drive around with a passenger as much as possible until it can be recreated and verify it is in the front. I had a rubbing noise that I would have sworn was in the front passenger until a passenger said it’s definitely coming from behind them.