Automatic Transmission Hoses and filter

I have the motor out. Odometer shows 110,0000 miles. I haven't driven this car other than home on 2 cylinders.. seemed to shift ok and I heard these are pretty tough units. Terrible leak at the hose crimps.  I am hoping to cut these off and get new hose. Is it ok to use hose clamps? I haven't cut off the old hose from the ends so I don't know if they are barbed or how much pressure they are supposed to handle. Does anyone know what is the best hose and methods?

Also, I want to service the transmission. I looked for the filter and it seems there is no replace-able filter. Instead it is a mesh that can be cleaned...is this correct? I also want to replace the O-rings at the dipstick and speedo but need help with sizing. Anybody know what size or a good source? I cleaned the area of oil so I could see if any other leaks beside the hoses and it looks to be good. I will be changing the pan gasket. Are there any other things to do while I have the car apart this far? I think I will be removing the trans and dropping the subframe if it its theeasiest way to re-install the engine...any thoughts? I have another thread open on the engine/trans thing.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

IMG_20200220_200102273.jpg

Hose clamps are probably OK, the rad cooler was introduced in 75 I think. There are hose shops who will make new hoses with your fittings, that is what I would recommend.  The speedo drive has a tiny seal in the upper end which is replaceable, the o-ring from BMW is too large and won’t fit, I bought generic o-rings in the correct diameter online and used those.  I Have seen metal and plastic speedo drive housings. I can dig up the size if you send me a PM.

E305DE86-AA7D-4791-BB1C-7DCE47EBC009.jpeg

• Like 1
On 2/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, HBChris said:

These are the larger o-rings you need, 2.2 x 18mm.  BMW sells you a 2.2 x 20 which tears as soon as you try to install it.

Thanks!  I live in Orange County... do I need to order them from The ORing Store or is there a more local source?

On 2/22/2020 at 8:20 PM, kbmb02 said:

A good hose shop can work wonders.... -KB

I called around here in Orange County.. I'm gonna try Mesa Hose tomorrow but nobody else is willing around here.. I see you are SoCal..where did you have yours done?

On 2/21/2020 at 3:55 PM, HBChris said:

The speedo drive has a tiny seal in the upper end which is replaceable, the o-ring from BMW is too large and won’t fit, I bought generic o-rings in the correct diameter online and used those.

Is there a SEPARATE tiny seal other than the ORing?

Mesa Hose made my hoses.  I couldn’t find the o-ring anywhere so I searched the internet.  There is a small seal at the upper end of the housing which is metal with an internal spring to hold the seal.  Getting it out takes patience, be sure you have a new one to replace it, get it at Mesa Performance on Newport Blvd.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, HBChris said:

Mesa Hose made my hoses.  I couldn’t find the o-ring anywhere so I searched the internet.  There is a small seal at the upper end of the housing which is metal with an internal spring to hold the seal.  Getting it out takes patience, be sure you have a new one to replace it, get it at Mesa Performance on Newport Blvd.

Hello...it's been a few weeks... I should be getting my motor back in a few days so I am gathering as much as I can before things become less available. I went to Mesa Hose and they did a nice job on new hoses using my old fittings and at a decent price. I placed an order from The Oring Store but they just let me know there is no stock on 2.2x18... do you have any other sources or perhaps some spares of your own you might part with? Thanks ?

The 18mm x 2.2mm variety should be available at a whole heap of places - well maybe not a heap - that sell O-rings. Even here in Oz I can get it 5 minutes drive from my house (albeit I am lucky to have a bearing and seal trade supplier nearby).

I'm quite interested in the internal seal - is it this one you are talking about Chris? Item 19 on the diagram?

24211200139.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 9.23.25 am.png

Edited by zambo