danco_

Bluetooth Head Units that still look old/period correct?

23 posts / 1001 viewsLast Reply

I vaguely remember seeing a post or two where car audio companies came out with new head units that still look correct for our cars and aren't glowing every color of the rainbow nonstop. 

I want something super easy, bluetooth, and looks the part. Bonus if it looks like a blaupunkt or whatever was dealer installed at the time of inception.

Does someone know a head unit or two that fits the bill? Thank you! 

-Ryan

• Like 1

Try googling for something like "Blaupunkt Frankfurt bluetooth."  Someone's got some sort of conversion adapter.  Can't speak to its performance.  Retro Sound makes radios that look something like originals - 2 round knobs and pushbuttons.  Digital read outs.  You can get a model with bluetooth. 

John

74 Polaris 02

• Like 1

Most period correct Blaupunkts have an aux input, so you can add Bluetooth with a dongle. Of course you're still going through the old amp as far as sound quality.

They also make separate amp/bluetooth units you can put in your glove compartment etc. Keep an old radio for looks but it's bypassed. Check Crutchfield.com or whatever.

They make 'old timey' looking head units with Bluetooth but they only look decent in American cars IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dlacey said:

I picked one up just to look it over. It's about what I expected. Should try to avoid using the buttons so they dont fail. If they left the chrome off it would blend better. I'm not going to install it unless I hide it in the glovebox. 

Retro sound has (very expensive imo) models that do look good but I haven't seen them in person. The real beckers and Blau ones are also expensive wjth everyone wanting 250-300 for questionable condition (if it's old its valuable right). At those prices I'd expect it to already be wired for bluetooth and tested. 

I'm starting to lean towards hidden system or removable bluetooth speaker.

(edited)

this not too bad looking

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/radio-orange-display-usb-mp3-wma-12v-vdo/tr7412ub-or~con/

but this option is really cool.  get a head unit from 80's 3 series and put this card in it.

https://cantalouperadio.com/collections/products/products/mdeck-ba-2-bluetooth-retrofit-kit-for-bmw-cm5905-cm5907-cm5908?variant=13185398439980

sooo tempting for my M3.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

enabling a deep integration of modern audio tech that is leaps and bounds beyond any other solution on the market.

Oh deer.  For $220, that's a lotta Canaloupe.  But it has 'deep integration'.  That's something we had in a re- org

meeting the other day, and it kinda resembled a lot of bulldroppings that didn't say anything.

Now, if it 'plugged into the factory deck's plug' maybe THAT would mean something.

If it doesn't have an 8- track, it's not 'period correct' for a 2002, anyways.

t

I just snagged a Blaupunk Munster from an ebay seller that restores old radios and he even wired in an auxiliary. It was $150ish. Took me a while to find, but there are deals to be had. 

• Like 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, mlytle said:

this not too bad looking

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/radio-orange-display-usb-mp3-wma-12v-vdo/tr7412ub-or~con/

but this option is really cool.  get a head unit from 80's 3 series and put this card in it.

https://cantalouperadio.com/collections/products/products/mdeck-ba-2-bluetooth-retrofit-kit-for-bmw-cm5905-cm5907-cm5908?variant=13185398439980

sooo tempting for my M3.

Have the cantaloupe card in my original '88 M5 radio. It's awesomely good, seamless integration.

Vern has a Blaupunkt Frankfurt with a 7-pin aux cable mounted in the glove box and an iLive Bluetooth receiver. Invisible and sounds great. Run a Memphis Audio Amp to 4 Rockford Fosgates.

Radio.jpg

Edited by adawil2002
  • Like 2

(edited)
11 hours ago, uai said:

My cm5905 or whatever it’s called doesn’t have the code, it does light up and tell me so🙄 so I’m might mount it because my Parker faceplate has a radio hole, and then I’m thinking iPhone Bluetooth to a Bluetooth speaker, tried it the other day, really surprised by the sound it provides, I have reduced hearing in one ear courtesy of an opponent in the ring (youth is a wonderful  time where we do fun and dumb things😂) so there’s Little point in a wild stereo, plus that and the 02 isn’t exactly the best acoustically anyway, well perhaps under the hood! 

30690BCC-A793-4F34-B34D-BA1AF3896C0B.jpeg

F04BE0FF-87FC-46B6-922C-36BA2CF77242.jpeg

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

I’ve got this in my car - hooks into the back of my Blaupunkt Frankfurt. Totally hidden. Automatically connects when your phone starts playing audio. Highly recommend this guy and his product. 

• Like 1

(edited)

Hard to beat Andrew's Blaupunkt for originality, a common install back in the day, but FYI, here's a Retro Sound Radio, though before bluetooth was added.  When on, the radio has a digital display.

John

74 Polaris 02

Retro Radio.jpg

Edited by john02md
add content, correct