pjp90

California dreaming

19 posts / 834 viewsLast Reply

After 60 years in NJ I will be following a lot of parts I have sold and moving to CA later this year

bringing my 2002s and E30 m3 of course

my wife and I have chosen Tehachapi to be close enough to family in LA and strategically located between Willow Springs and Buttonwillow race tracks 

anyone here in Tehachapi or know much about it?

Paul

(edited)

Double Post.

Edited by danco_

Just now, danco_ said:

Tehachapi is where crackheads live. There and Lancaster. I'd say both cities really only exist as trucking routes to avoid I-5/The Grapevine into Southern California. 

I bought 20 acres in Lancaster so I can shoot guns and not be trifled with, and I paid less than $20k. Literally only crackheads everywhere. And not even the cool, wholesome crackheads. I'm talking the possessed by Demons and try to summon Lucifer 3-4x per day kind. 

But man, I would rethink your strategy here. You're better off driving an extra hour to the track for a much more desirable neighborhood/city. 

Regardless, take what I say with a grain of salt. Whatever you decide will probably be fine. 

Good luck! 

• Haha 3

Don't know anyone there, but typically I always drive through there from Los Angeles to Yuma. Seems like a great place to keep a car rust free!

Hey Paul Buttonwillow and big and little willow are great tracks.

The really good news is +-250 miles to Laguna Seca.

The problem with the high desert is "the twistys" is a road that has 2 turns in 40 miles.

I've driven through it a few times. In the spring it actually can look pretty nice but...

It can snow in the winter, can have crazy high winds and be super hot in the summer. It's the high desert any weather is possible. 

Don't know about the people but I would suggest more investigation before committing.

Tehachapi ......

--  if you're a train buff, you already know The Loop is "right there."

--  if you like great wine:  Triassic Vineyards.  Find the owner, Jim Arnold, tell him I sent you.

--  if you like twist-y--turn-y drives:  just west of Tehachapi via Hwy 58, is Caliente.  Take the Caliente-Bodfish Road north toward Kernville ...... one of my favorite drives.

--  I can keep you plenty busy .......

Cheers,

Carl

Not much in Tehachapi, my father is a major train enthusiast and so we used to camp there in a friends RV when I was a kid, unfortunately Danco is pretty much correct from what I remember except I think they are meth heads as opposed to crackheads and will steal anything not bolted down (actually they will probably steal that too).  There may be nicer areas of Tehachapi that I have not seen, I am definitely no expert but hopefully you have visited the area before you take the plunge.

I think I'd rent there for  a year and see how you like it before buying, Like others have said it's high desert, hot in summer, Cold in winter

(edited)

Much of the "high desert" has its issues with substance abuse, like many rural areas across the US...from my travels in the west, some of the worst meth issues I've witnessed have been in Montana.  I would comment Tehachapi has recently become an affordable destination for retirees and 2nd homeowners, and the median income is likely higher than most other areas of the desert.  Desert is a bit misleading with its elevation of 4K feet, you will get snow several times a year and cold, but not NJ cold.  The wind never seems to stop, there is a reason there is a windmill farm outside of Mojave. I read somewhere Mojave had more brothels per capita during the water war years, but they're gone now, and Mojave is just a stopover to get gas and take a pee on your way to the Sierras.  It will be hot in the summer but maybe 10% humidity, and not as hot as Palmdale/Lancaster.  What's attractive to me is your at the base of the southern Sierra Nevada, and a short drive to trout fishing, 14K peaks and the PCT trail runs nearby.  Try driving the 178 from Bakersfield to Ridgecrest, one of the most amazing twisting drives over the Sierras, but make sure your brakes are in good order!  Good luck with the move and welcome to CA, we need more tax dollars.

Edit:  Drug issues are not confined to only rural areas.  Median price of a home in Tehachapi is north of $280K, that is "affordable" in CA. 

Edited by Steve Tochi
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the comments.  Many would say, stay out of CA altogether.   But it can't be worse than NJ!

I live now in a very nice area of NJ.  But if I go less than 3 miles away I will see all the drugs and crime you can imagine.

My kids lived in Venice until recently.  Highly desirable area, right?  Multi-million dollar houses every where you look.  But streets full of homeless.   So where do you go that everything is perfect?  

We have visited Tehachapi, spoken to people who know it well, and have done lots of research.  We are looking in the very nice areas. 

As for the weather, we are used to hot in the summer and cold in the winter, plus plenty of rain and cloudy dreary days.

Hope to meet some old BMW lovers when we arrive!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pjp90 said:

So where do you go that everything is perfect?  

San Diego, America's finest city ;-).

Stay Classy,

Mark92131

• Like 2

Paul, sounds like you've done your due diligence and move to where you'll be happy.  Just don't tell Bruce you're bagging on his home state, but I think he lives here in the Hollywood Hills now.  

I agree with Mark, San Diego is pretty close to perfect!

2 hours ago, pjp90 said:

So where do you go that everything is perfect?  

Amen. I try not to use the p (perfect) word.

I live north of Montana in Santa Monica 1/2 of my year the other 1/2 in Kalaheo Kauai.

SM: A heroin addict down my street rear ended my truck parked in front. He lost his bumper with plate attached and ran. 

Kauai: Crack house 2 houses away complete with crack babies and moms, law enforcement now raids it once every month.

You make perfect it does not happen by itself.

Welcome To Tehachapi, California a really beautiful place.