• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chewed up Dshaft center bearings

Robocopywriter

Can anyone tell me what causes this?  A few facts.

1)  The drive shaft center bearing was shot when I bought the car a couple of years ago.  And replaced.

2)  It has only been driven 1000 miles at the most since the replacement.

3)  The car was rear ended recently.  Damage was limited.  Body shop put the car on the frame rack and pulled it back.

4)  I did drive it, but very little, before it went to the body shop

4)  I have noticed vibration only since getting it back from the body shop (possibly not related and just coincidental).

Thanks.

IMG_6985.jpeg

IMG_6984.jpeg

Absolutely related. Driveshaft is out of plane or differential was pushed forward. Either will cause driveshaft wobble and chew up the Flex disc and the CSB. 

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

In the second pic it looks like something hit the center bearing and cut the metal surround.  How "old" was the "new" center bearing?  The way it is torn looks like the rubber was old and dried up.  When it was installed was it properly pre-loaded?

• Like 1

2xM3

IMHO

You'll know when you disconnect the center support.  If the diff has been pushed forward the support will forcibly try to drop to release the pressure and it will require force to hold it in (bolt on) position.   Easy enough to loosen the diff and move it back.  

I learned something a few years ago, from a Toby comment.  If the engine, driveshaft and differential have previously been removed from the car, bolt in the engine/transmission, driveshaft and CSB BEFORE tightening the diff to the rear subframe.

Confirm that the CSB housing is pre-loaded / slid forward 2mm. 

Confirm that the guibo is not distorted.

I agree that the CSB looks old and maybe just sagging and torn from age and abuse.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

As stated first off.  Center bearing was box fresh when it was put in and has less that 1000 miles.

The drive shaft is not the sliding center section type, so pretty difficult for the diff to move relative to the drive shaft.

It would be easier to move the center bearing (not the diff) since it has a slotted mounting.

The bearing was fitted properly and tightened down last after everything else, including the diff.

Thanks for all input.  I'm going with this cause: driving the car before it was repaired.  And probably pretty badly worn engine mounts.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Robocopywriter said:

The drive shaft is not the sliding center section type, so pretty difficult for the diff to move relative to the drive shaft.

actually no.  the diff is slot mounted also.  if diff is jammed forward, could force the driveshaft to kink at the center u-joint, or deform the guibo, or shear the trans mount, or shear the engine mounts

37 minutes ago, Robocopywriter said:

It would be easier to move the center bearing (not the diff) since it has a slotted mounting.

see above. the center bearing slotting is to allow pre-loading of the rubber surround.

38 minutes ago, Robocopywriter said:

The bearing was fitted properly and tightened down last after everything else, including the diff.

"fitted properly"....assume this means it was preloaded forward?

39 minutes ago, Robocopywriter said:

And probably pretty badly worn engine mounts.

suggest replace engine mounts, trans mount and guibo at this point.

• Like 2

2xM3

My 2 cents-

it takes a pretty hard hit to move the diff.  If the repair bill was under $10k, and/ or did

did not involve a clip, it's pretty unlikely it moved.

It is also unlikely that the body shop messed with it.  Unless they had to.

They try not to.

That CSB looks ancient, for whatever reason.  It's also odd- the threads on the driveshaft

bolt look like it's been apart recently, but the rust on the shaft itself looks 'period correct'.

Without knowing what happened at the body shop, I think I'd just take it out, 

make sure the u- joints are OK, then try another, good- quality CSB and see what happens.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, Robocopywriter said:

Center bearing was box fresh

I + one friend have had these new bearing rubbers to fail pretty soon. Maybe these where from some old batch? Dunno but it has happened.

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91