Hodgepodge

OMG what is happening???

9 posts / 1003 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

First off let's start by saying, everyone remain calm and don't misconstrue what I'm about to say as negative.  

To me this car 1974 2002 Tii on eBay screams prepped for resale which always means corners were cut somewhere.  Might explain why there is not undercarriage shots.  Interior looks tired and while the dash seems to have no cracks, the window seals do as they are ancient. So with the last respray ( done when the nose was replaced?) they clearly did not pull the glass. Big money cars demand big detailed imaging and videos.  It would seem (to me) the seller is just trying to capture the proverbial lipstick on a pig audience. 

Nice enough car for someone

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 3

(edited)

Speaking for myself (but I suspect true of many), I'm not in this hobby to make money.  Of course I care about the long term value of our cars.  But if there is one thing I've learned by watching online sales and auctions it's that markets always go up and downs and it's not something you can control. 

If 2002 values overall are down a bit, here's the silver lining.  More of these cars will now trade hands and end up with people who will invest in them, drive them, and hopefully keep them on the road long term.  I may be a little altruistic, but IMHO, that's a good thing for all of us.     

Edited by Crash513
  • Like 3

On 2/15/2020 at 3:06 AM, Crash513 said:

Speaking for myself (but I suspect true of many), I'm not in this hobby to make money.  Of course I care about the long term value of our cars.  But if there is one thing I've learned by watching online sales and auctions it's that markets always go up and downs and it's not something you can control. 

If 2002 values overall are down a bit, here's the silver lining.  More of these cars will now trade hands and end up with people who will invest in them, drive them, and hopefully keep them on the road long term.  I may be a little altruistic, but IMHO, that's a good thing for all of us. 

I totally agree.  I bought my 02 because I really like driving it.  I thought it was cool.  I guess it is nice that it has risen in value over the years, but I don't count it in my financial portfolio like it is a mutual fund or something.  When I'm old and decrepit, I'll sell it for the going rate, and probably be really picky about who gets it.  It won't matter if the going rate is $10k or $100k, really.  I've spent lots keeping it on the road for 30 years...who knows if I would break even or not.  But I don't really care about that.  It's fun; it is my hobby.  It's what my friends are into.  

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2