• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best 02

Slavs

I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree that all 02's are special.

I've owned two 1975's and two 1973's and love/loved all of them.

One of my most favorite things of my early years with 02s was the yearly ritual to the Bay Area 02 event when run by JP in Palo Alto, across from the Stanford mall.  All 02s of all shapes and sizes. You could have a black 02 Turbo next to a beat up '71 and there would be crowds around both. Great times.

This thread should have a voting/survey at the top! Just for fun.

Jason

• Like 4

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

1 hour ago, YaadehShahin said:

original color was Bristol.  Whats your thoughts on paint Inca or Colorado ?

Bristol is one of my favorite colors for early 1600's, but if you must go orange, my vote is Colorado.  Your project looks much more complete than mine, have fun with your restoration.

Mark92131

Bristol_1600.jpg

• Like 4

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I have owned a "worst year" 2002 and a "best year" 2002, both in Sahara. (the "worst color" according to many!) I found it very easy to love both of them. I must admit that the very clean lines and the simplicity of the earliest 1600s and 2002s are quite appealing. I was tempted to buy an early 1600-2 several times. Any 2002 will draw a crowd, whether concours or ratty; they're just fascinating regardless.

Yaadeh Shahin:  BRISTOL.   You won't regret it! Do it.

FranzKYRidgeRun2019.jpg

• Like 4

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

12 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

And the super90!

Ahh yes....Not to hijack this thread, I bought that car from the shop Forman at the Mahag Porsche-Audi dealership in Munich. Earlier in  his career in 1960-61 he had been one of the factory mechanics on the Porsche F1 team. It was his personal car. Brought it back to the States and while I was in Vietnam my wife took it to a local “Porsche” guy for a major service. I returned (to his surprise) and found that the motor had been stolen. The major service included removal of the original Super 90 motor and replacement with a Normal (60hp base motor for the uninitiated) that had a hotter cam. There was nothing wrong with the motor. He had sold it. I had no recourse. The car then continued to deteriorate to  eventual junk . R.I.P.

• Sad 2

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

13 hours ago, YaadehShahin said:

Hey folks 

I am excited and glad to read this article with so much good info.

so I have found a 1600.  

It has an 02 engine.   It was a estate sale and my friend has it.  

it was a racer so interior is not original.  

Engine sounds strong.  

Glass looks good.   

Couple of rust spots here and there.  

Chrome is patina

original color was Bristol.  Whats your thoughts on paint Inca or Colorado ?

Looking for good advise.  

k man 

8461A342-E406-4141-B1EF-EC4B31E7FC43.jpeg

A996D81C-146D-4226-9944-430E3C286BA9.jpeg

17B80959-AFE6-468A-A900-8B13AACAF6E7.jpeg

Well it should be Granada of course!  That is the BEST 02 of all time, a 1600 painted Granada Red!

IMG_20170813_160316587.jpg

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Many good choices so far, all with arguments in their favor.  Mine is the 2002Ti, sadly never imported to the US. Here  are my reasons:

1. It has the cosmetic value of the early, plain sided, short bumper 2002.

2. It has the various brake and suspension upgrades that were used on the Tii.

3. The twin solex side drafts, when not worn out and properly tuned and breathing through the factory air box, are smooth with great throttle response.

4. It is the car that Alpina used as the basis for their first 02 racing program.

5. Last but not least, it was offered in Colorado

• Like 4

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

Mike said, "The late Michel Poteau--one of the first CCA members, proprietor of Circle Tire (the place to go for 2002 parts in  the 70s and 80s) and the 2002 guru, more than once said the 73's were the best year for 2002s.  By then factory had worked all the bugs out of the design and had managed to meet the US safety and emission requirements much better than the earlier cars. The 73s still had the wear-like-iron upholstery, multi-piece carpets, stronger bumpers and real metal grilles.  And round tail lights.  Subsequent cars had cheapened trim, upholstery, more emission stuff and 200 extra pounds.  And strayed from the original design."

I agree with Mike, and I remember it like it was yesterday when Michel advised me when I was restoring "Hugo" my very early '72tii.  He told me it being a very early tii that it may have the 3:45 differential and 10:1 compression.  To this day I still haven't figured it out, but it is very quick!  My '73tii is great as well, but there's something about the earlier cars and that great Spartan look & feel of everything.  I have the Euro bumpers on the '72tii which I profess a liking to compared to the '73.  But the '73 has some exclusive parts that no other '02 has, like those rare as hens teeth rubber rear bumper bracket covers!...it took me years to score a decent set of those babies.

How long has it been Mike...since we lost Michel Potheau?...I think it's been about 17 years by now.  I still have some of his emails in my restoration file.  And, fortunately I have some models from his model collection to remember him by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

On 2/12/2020 at 4:56 PM, adawil2002 said:

1973 2002Tii is the best 2002. Longer bumper brackets front & rear, metal intake runners, lighted heater controls and last year for round tail lights before the cars got heavier & slower in 1974.

I have owned 3 2002s over 30 years. A 1972 & 1973 in college, then purchase the 1973 Tii in 2010 which is the best 2002 I have owned. 

I endorse this response :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, JsnPpp said:

I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree that all 02's are special.

I've owned two 1975's and two 1973's and love/loved all of them.

One of my most favorite things of my early years with 02s was the yearly ritual to the Bay Area 02 event when run by JP in Palo Alto, across from the Stanford mall.  All 02s of all shapes and sizes. You could have a black 02 Turbo next to a beat up '71 and there would be crowds around both. Great times.

This thread should have a voting/survey at the top! Just for fun.

Jason

No bad on Brisbane, but Palo Alto was the best (IMO), that was a great venue - artificial turf soccer field now unfortunately.

It's settled, then. Irrespective of the silly viewpoint that one might choose whatever they currently own as being the best, the vast majority of the contributors here all agree that the '73 Tii is undeniably the clear winner. Um, yes, I do have one...why would you ask that? ?

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

The best '02 is the one you get to drive/own. Yeah, there are some other cool ones out there, but I really like mine!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

9 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

The best '02 is the one you get to drive/own. Yeah, there are some other cool ones out there, but I really like mine!

This, mine has a 5 speed and rear discs. If it had a sunroof would be close to perfect. They joy it brings me when I row that shifter on a nice day, all is right in the world.