• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airbox 1600TI

Renni

4 hours ago, Slavs said:

Yes, that is for the earlier production 1600ti with the remote brake booster as there is no dimple on the underside of the air box. I think they switched to the firewall mounted booster later in the production run, but I may be wrong since the 1600ti was produced for only about one year.

Wait , what? nothing about the price? :-) 

• Haha 1

But what do I know

17 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Wait , what? nothing about the price? ?

Thanks for reminding me. Now, you got me going;

250 Euros, which is about $272 is not too bad for a 1600ti airbox. Although, it seems incomplete as it is missing the ends. But, they could be salvaged from a later tii airbox. Complete 2002ti air boxes have been selling for about $400. But, the 1600ti airbox pictured here is even rarer. Yes a 2002ti air box with the underside dimple will work on a car with a remote booster such as an earlier production 1600ti, but if I had such a rare car as a 1600ti with remote booster, this is the very specific air can I would want. This air can will work with any early car with the remote booster which has been outfitted with side rafts.

Yes, I have found a number of complete NK 1800ti and 2000ti air cans at the Pick Your Part yards back during the 90s. And, I only paid $6 each. But, those NK air cans don't fit our cars as they are longer and all the baffles are mounted perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, while they are angled to the longitudinal axis on the 1600ti and 2002 ti. I traded one for a 2002ti air box while I gave away another.

It's a lot of $$$$ for an air can, but less than the going $400 for a complete one. I got to enjoy the hobby and my first 1600 as a poor college student during the 1980s. And, I got to pick through the yards and find cool parts such as swan neck mirrors, flush turn signals, Ti air cans, dashboards, including the very rare 66-67 three piece dashboards, belt line trim, including the rare early 66-68 embossed front hood piece, etc. for the price of a meal at McDonalds. It was fun rummaging around for all these cool parts on a budget. This is no longer the case with this hobby. Now, you got to have $$$$ to get anywhere with these cars. Gone are the days when you can get a rust free complete 1967 2000ti at the local pick Your Part for $500. 

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

The 1600ti was manufactured from September 1967 through December 1968, according to the attached:

But I suspect that neither September 1967 nor December 1968 were high-production months. I believe the parts listing suggests that the changeover from remote brake boosters, for 1600-2’s in general, was February 1968. If 1600ti’s switched at the same time as the general population of 1600-2’s — this is purely an assumption, not based on any actual knowledge — then the “dent-free” version of the airbox most likely served the September 1967 through February 1968 examples.

We have a number of active forum members with 1600ti’s. It would be great to hear if this theory aligns with actual facts!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My theory of the dent-free airbox ending with the end of remote boosters in February 1968 could well be wrong: TG2k2, a 1600ti owner, believes the dent-free airbox served all 1600ti’s.

See (and read):

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Regarding the 1600ti airbox, one other very small difference is that the end caps with the tapered snorkel tips; the place where the air first enters, are 2mm smaller in diameter.  If you look closely at this image from the above referenced thread you can just make out difference.  1600ti on top.

image.png.d2fffeb6292460fd4c6ccbeea026f271.png

If we ever get to the point where there are judged events where the judges use calipers to measure this dimension, I think we have lost it as a community.  But that's just my opinion.  BTW, I think this is a very good price for the part on offer.

Edited by bimbill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix