• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any decent Lithium cranking batteries yet?

AustrianVespaGuy

Yeah, too pricey and 12 ampere hours is not much reserve.

This premium sealed lead acid battery cost $79, has 550 CCA, and a capacity of 88 AH.

I like to park, maybe listen to some tunes without having to make sure I parked on a hill ?

For the money, I'll just run it in the trunk. 

IMG_1594 2.JPG

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

15 hours ago, rstclark said:

Given the explosion and fire hazard of a gasoline powered automobile  why would you want to add a new explosion and fire hazard with an overpriced lithium ion battery ?

Weight.  In a race car.

In a street car, maybe not so much, honestly.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've been running a PC925 Odessey in my 914 for a few years.  It has tons of cranking power, but does not seem to have the AH of reserve to keep up with the car if I'm running with the lights and wipers on.  I'm actually strongly considering moving away from the Lithium batteries and going back to lead acid for their reserve power.

And I do occasionally worry about coming home to a smouldring heap of a garage due to the battery going up one day.  But at this point with all the lithium batteries in devices and toys, I just don't know if I should worry about it and just up my insurance.

Zach   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rstclark said:

Given the explosion and fire hazard of a gasoline powered automobile  why would you want to add a new explosion and fire hazard with an overpriced lithium ion battery ?

Last I checked, lead acid batteries can explode too.

We should just go back to hand cranks on cars.

Or maybe some people like putting new technology on old cars?

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

I realize the failure rate for lithium batteries is extremely low  The rate of fires in Teslas is lower than in gas powered cars but the intensity of a lithium battery failure is much hotter and destructive than a gas fire. Considering the cost and reserve capacity, it begs the question  Why bother.?  The weight savings is of value, but not really that significant in the big scheme of things  IMHO

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rstclark said:

Why bother.?  The weight savings is of value, but not really that significant in the big scheme of things  IMHO

years ago I watched my beer swilling neighbors blow up a lead acid battery. Even for idiots, it took some doing.

They had it on some kind of super high current charger with the cell caps removed apparently to watch the cells bubble ( emit  flammable hydrogen gas) That sucker must have been at full boil. Guy lights a cig and KABLOOSH!  Classic..

Point is you really have to work at it to blow up a conventional battery.

The circuitry incorporated into a Lithium battery to regulate charge rate makes me nervous. I prefer to avoid  the possibility of a thermal runaway under my rear seat.

"The hazards to aircraft safety arising from Li-ion battery use arise from the potential for thermal runaway of one or more cells in such a battery. This overheating can lead to the emission of gas and / or smoke or the spillage of flammable electrolyte. Such possible effects of a malfunction must be mitigated by containment or discharge overboard unless the probability of their occurrence can be shown to be less than appropriately-specified certification requirements. It has been considered that overcharging was the only known failure mode that could result in battery cell venting with fire but it is now recognised that cell venting of smoke and / or gas can arise from a range of other causes including external overheating, external short circuiting of appropriate impedance, internal short circuiting, recharging a battery that has been over-discharged, high-rate charging, and charging at cold temperatures."

"Says the crusty old aircraft mech" and yes, I understand that cars are not aircraft.

fire-suit-500x500.jpg

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 2/13/2020 at 9:54 AM, tech71 said:

Yeah, too pricey and 12 ampere hours is not much reserve.

This premium sealed lead acid battery cost $79, has 550 CCA, and a capacity of 88 AH.

I like to park, maybe listen to some tunes without having to make sure I parked on a hill ?

For the money, I'll just run it in the trunk. 

IMG_1594 2.JPG

Luv Bi-Mart. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Well, just to prove to yuse guys that I'm not a total Li-Pho convert...

My 72T has two 300 CCA batteries upfront, one on each side. There were two, dead Interstates up there. Costly to replace.

Then I found Lowes had garden tractor batteries the same size and the same CCA's for $49. In they went!

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

• 3 years later...

Sooooo I just got the news that I am not going to have a lot of time on my hands.  So it is time to kick it into high gear.  I am thinking a Lithium battery would be a better call than mounting my old one in the trunk and saving me time ( which outweighs the money).  Is this still an ok call?  Or is it still a race thing only and a good ol lead acid is still the way to go?

I am thinking of this bad boy listed below

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

You need to get the temperature peramiters both high and low (mostly high) and mount it a area that stays in that range, they are good batteries but don't take mishandling or abuse well.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

You need to get the temperature peramiters both high and low (mostly high) and mount it a area that stays in that range, they are good batteries but don't take mishandling or abuse well.

So under the back seat.   I won't be driving it in winter. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Me, even in this day and age, I'd go with a smaller lead- acid battery.  

Yes, I've seen 'em explode.  It's cool.

I've also seen a tiny 70mAH R/C battery burn.

It's very, very, very, very, very, very hot.

And un-out-puttable.

Imagine, if you will, a puddle of burning liquid plastic.

Now make it very very very very very hot.

t

how hot, you ask?

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

35 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Me, even in this day and age, I'd go with a smaller lead- acid battery.  

Yes, I've seen 'em explode.  It's cool.

I've also seen a tiny 70mAH R/C battery burn.

It's very, very, very, very, very, very hot.

And un-out-puttable.

Imagine, if you will, a puddle of burning liquid plastic.

Now make it very very very very very hot.

t

how hot, you ask?

I know, I suspect that you are familiar with Traxxas. 

Let me dig a little bit more into this thing. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

13 hours ago, Dudeland said:

So under the back seat.   I won't be driving it in winter. 

Here's mine. My stereo amp is back there too.

I had to run 11 feet of cable through the firewall.

When all is said and done, I might've just put it in the engine bay. Other than cleaning up the engine bay, it really doesn't serve any purpose being under the back seat since it's so light.

20181208_135419 (1).jpeg

unnamed-5.jpeg

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS