• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 240 Rebuild Kit

drola

I need to rebuild the getrag 240 in my 73 roundie.

Is there someone who sells a rebuild kit for this tranny? typical synchros, bearings, seals etc

I have searched on the web and come up with nothing.

any guidance is appreciated

Which '240' do you mean?

There's the intermediate 4- speed that has '240' cast into its case.

There's the later 5- speed that's redesigned to be more compact.

That said, there's no kit for any of it.  The synchros were available a while

back and the bearings are pretty common, so it might still be reparable.

The supply of either transmission in guaranteed good shape is pretty thin these days, it seems.

ALL that said, getting the things apart is a lot harder than most transmissions.

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 months later...

idk why this forum does not notify me of replies to my thread.

anyway, my tranny is a 240 out of a 1983 320i with the mechanical speedo.

i'm ready to tear it down. i've spoken to korman engineering and he says he can get me most parts. but seems cheaper to find a replacement. IF i can find one that is.....

44 minutes ago, drola said:

idk why this forum does not notify me of replies to my thread.

You can try clicking on your name in the upper right corner and then Settings and then Notifications to see how they are set up.

Notification Settings

• Send me news and information
    Enabling this option will add you to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time.
  • Automatically follow content
    • Automatically follow new content I post
    • Automatically follow content I reply to
  • Method to use for content I follow automatically
    • A notification when new content is posted
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me notifications
    Changing this option will not affect existing followed content.
  • Notification preferences
    • Show popup window when I receive a new personal message
    • Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community
    • Play a sound when I receive a notification
Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, drola said:

anyway, my tranny is a 240 out of a 1983 320i with the mechanical speedo.

i'm ready to tear it down. i've spoken to korman engineering and he says he can get me most parts. but seems cheaper to find a replacement. IF i can find one that is.....

That one is pretty rare.... The non speedo/double rear mount version out of 84-85 M10  E30s seems to be a bit more available.

Hope you find one. If you do end up overhauling your existing trans please post your results here, I for one am interested.

76 with a 240 from 85 E30.

Thanks, Mike

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 2/4/2020 at 9:26 AM, bianchini said:

I'm pretty sure the 240 is just a 245 in a 2 piece case....(I will defer to the experts though) I had the 240 in my 74 and never had issues with it, so don't let the haters get to you if they comment in this thread! 

Hate that 

But what do I know

19 minutes ago, tech71 said:

The non speedo/double rear mount version out of 84-85 M10  E30s seems to be a bit more available.....

I had always wondered if the e30 trans-without the mech drive gear for the speedo, could be altered using the stuff from a 2002 trans to make it a mechanical drive.  Curious minds want to know.  

But what do I know

58 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

I had always wondered if the e30 trans-without the mech drive gear for the speedo, could be altered using the stuff from a 2002 trans to make it a mechanical drive.  Curious minds want to know.  

I looked into that a little, then my brain started hurting so I stopped. If it is possible (doubt it) it's going to be costly.

A GPS speedo is quick, relatively easy, reasonably priced, accurate regardless of gearing or tires and does not give me headaches.

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 4/24/2020 at 7:35 AM, conkitchen said:

Nope. short answer, it can't.

The 240 5- speed's a couple of generations newer.

It MIGHT be possible to use E21 parts- but it'd cause '71's brain hurt when you tried sourcing parts.

Far easier would be to fab up some sort of external drive off the driveshaft... 

...or an electric motor spinning the speedo drive!

...and far easier than THAT would be a GPS Speedo!

t

has not worn a Speedo since he got kicked off the swimming team

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

yeah I'm actually getting irritated searching for a cheap 3 3/8 in speedo gauge for my car. Tons of them out there and mounting looks more compatible with an 02 instrument panel than the Speed Hut models(with the big fat nylon nut) however, they have either red needles or backlighting or both.

Thats a non starter, am I really going to have to pay 4 times more for a white needle and white backlight?

I sense a conspiracy

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris