• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pop-up sunroof wind deflectors--2002

Mike Self

For those of you wondering what the pop-up wind deflector that was (apparently) either standard or an option on Euro cars, but probably not on US spec cars, here's what they looked like--from a 1970 Porsche 911 accessory catalog.  The Porsche deflector fits a 2002 sunroof opening perfectly--the trick these days is finding one in a salvage yard.  Click on the ppt link for a larger picture...

mike

image.thumb.png.2cb55ab16deee2d0efa83b0827c6f48d.png

Cheers

mike

002 sunroof wind deflector.pptx2 sunroof wind deflector.pptx

Edited by mike
  • Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

From what I recall from 15 years ago, Volvo 240s used a similar system, but had a wider sunroof.

If one were to cut, shorten and weld that deflector, it worked, I think.  I never tried it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Cleaver device those selectors, I just look forward to the wind in my hair. I did have friend create some of the plastic fixture plugs that insert into the aluminum. My old ones were crumbling. And yes they were printed in an "opaque" plastic.

IMG_3255.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryasi said:

Cleaver device those selectors, I just look forward to the wind in my hair. I did have friend create some of the plastic fixture plugs that insert into the aluminum. My old ones were crumbling. And yes they were printed in an "opaque" plastic.

IMG_3255.jpg

I'm familiar with the pop-up style deflector, but don't recognize these pieces - where do they fit?  Thanks!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Stan sells the golde deflectors here, or at least the new springs, hinges and plastic blocks.  And for much less than the Sierra Madre Collection does for Porsches.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Stan's repro Golde wind deflectors have aluminum billet hinges which are far superior to the white pot-metal originals. Last I knew he had few complete sets, a few spare springs & plastic hinge tabs. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

6 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

I'm familiar with the pop-up style deflector, but don't recognize these pieces - where do they fit?  Thanks!

Those are the hinge blanks for cars without the Golde deflector. They are usually yellowish plastic.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

8 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Not sure if they were ever offered as an accessory, but the Mercury Capri had a Golde brand manual crank sunroof that looks very similar to the 2002.

Loved the ‘70’s Capri’s, Jim!

Of course, finding one in a salvage yard today is probably a rare occurrence.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, webthread said:

My ‘71 has it, needs new springs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan sells perfect reproductions of the springs!

Regards,

Steve

When I bought my ‘73 in 2014, the sunroof was broken, stuck in the closed position: it probably hadn’t been opened since the car’s Inka days! When Korman disassembled it, out popped a deflector.

Win! ?

Regards,

Steve

9E2DA933-1637-4784-AC13-57B84EDF491B.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2