• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii cold start issues

Dosky

So, my cold start valve is not working.  I know I can bypass the timed relay and temp switch and have read some different views on this.  Can someone that has actually done this please guide me through it?

IMG_3953.JPG

Edited by Dosky
change auto correct in Tii

Can someone point @Dosky to the BMWtii_pump_guide_v1.pdf.

That guide has a testing procedure with pictures to determine which component of the cold start system is at fault.  I looked for the guide in Technical Articles and couldn't find it.  It's too large to attach to this post.  22 mb.

Anyone?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

6 hours ago, Mike G said:

If you get to feel that the relay is not performing to spec I documented some of the cold start relay phases in my blog in case that helps. Link in my signature.

Another test is to disconnect pin 50 lead from the starter (so it won't turn over) and then wire up a simple led to plug (gently) into the cold start injector. You can then see if power being supplied when you turn the ignition.

You'll get it!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

I was using a cold start switch. The car always started easily if I turn the key to the start position and hold the switch at the same time. I held the switch for about one second, warm or cold. If the engine is warm and running within the last few to 10-ish minutes, the cold start injection is not necessary. Once the fuel vapors condense inside the intake, cold start is helpful.

The engine will start, even when cold, without the cold start injector working. It may take a couple minutes of cranking to get it going however, so a good battery and starter are needed for that.

A squirt of starting fluid accomplishes the same thing as the cold start injector, it gets the engine running fast enough to pump up the injectors.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

• 2 years later...