• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TEP rear battery holder

SydneyTii

Just curious have many folk actually used the TEP rear battery holder?

i saw a “sale” post from TEP a while back and quite a few people seemed keen, yet I’ve not seen that many pics on the board of owners who fitted them.

some but not that many.

Edited by SydneyTii

I believe mine is a Tep hold down. It was installed when I bought the car. The battery master switch comes in handy and everything is solid, but I think it takes up waaaaaay to much trunk space for what it is.

I plan on making my own next winter with the battery more to the passenger side and the crossbar higher so not to lose so much usable luggage space.157757039_IMG_3081(1).thumb.JPG.9dcffbdd3ec015801cda8d99655b81ab.JPG

• Like 1

Why would you want one when you can lose at least half the weight (and with LI-PHO, 90% of the weight) with an AGM battery and leave it where it is.

This is an old school mod that's not necessary IMO.

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Chassis bracing can be helpful. Shifting a bit of weight out of the extreme front of the vehicle toward the rear can't hurt weight distribution. I don't trust lithium batteries yet, having seen a couple meltdown in situ at autocross events. Nothing wrong with a PC680 or similar, based on my experience. I'm just gun shy of the lithiums for now. Maybe someday.

Also, fwiw, I moved the battery to make room for my airbox in an EFI conversion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d.hitchcock said:

Also, fwiw, I moved the battery to make room for my airbox in an EFI conversion.

This to me is the most logical reason to do the battery relocation. I had planned to do the same, and go with an S14 style intake thru that opening. 

The nice part of the Kooglewerks one is it actually maximizes the tray size so it doesn't eat up all your storage space at the back of the trunk. It's really pretty slick. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

I Installed one in my car. It's fine.

Kooglewerks version is cool because you don't have to drill holes in the shock tower or drop the shocks to install or remove it.

The Kooglewerks one is a great design like many of their products but unfortunately it’s not cheap to get to Aus, it ends up $1300 Aus, it’s a shame because I like it, Forest really is an artisan.

I need to raise my trunk floor a bit the same as a Turbo to accommodate a larger spare, so the best way for me is the battery box with a proper power isolator and E30 distribution  block, I trial fitted the TEP I have last night, with the mocked up raised floor, it made the access to remove the battery challenging, where as the box fitted snugly by the wheel well and allowed room for a toolbox, which btw is held nicely by a tie down strap, and the raised floor.

The only real reason for moving my battery is access to the alternator and oil filter, I have had the alternator in and out a few times lately, and it becomes a right PITA to first remove the battery, then the tray, plus it really does clean up the engine bay, I assume BMW saw good reason to move the battery to the trunk as my brother in laws e30 battery is there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I assume BMW saw good reason to move the battery to the trunk as my brother in laws e30 battery is there.

+1...my e46 as well.

But the 02 engine compartment on the driver side, especially the Tii,  is way too crowded to suit me. Relocating the battery to the trunk was my first move. The decision was made easier by the cob job that the incompetent dealer made of welding a piece of scrap posing as a new battery tray. 

Water jet piece for a Optima battery ($30 on line) and a e30 cable...not completed yet

IMG_0919.jpg

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

11 hours ago, dlacey said:

You don't need a rear strut brace and this is a waste of trunk space.

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

:D

(Apologies!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

11 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I did notice my e30 cable was a bit short, has anyone else ever found this?

There may be differences with your RHD, but in my LHD I ran it through the interior driver's side alongside the longitudinal and then through the firewall (careful to include grommets at penetrations) and terminated it on the left side where the original battery was located. There was just enough length to make for a decent installation.

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

I had this rear brace in my Tii race car.  I had rear coil overs and the rear brace is essential to help stiffen up the rear shock towers from the extra spring weight of the coil overs.  I also wanted the battery in the trunk so I could add a cold air intake system in place of the OE battery location.  I also feel the battery in the trunk is better for weight balance purposes and also safety as the battery could cause a fire in an accident with it located so far up front in the nose.  Plus with the battery in the trunk it makes servicing the engine so much easier with the extra room.

• Like 1

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT