magnus

FS: 1973 2002tii project

1 post / 290 viewsLast Reply

VIN: 2762669
Mileage: unknown
Price: $9000 obo

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskG6yg1r

TLDR
Good: rare cool color, runs and drives surprisingly well, numbers match, no structural rust, it’s a roundie tii.
Bad: salvage title, needs just about everything.

Overview

I’ve owned this 2002tii since August of 2016. I picked it up as a project, and after three years I don’t have the time or resources to continue working on it. I don’t know any history on this car before 2001, when it was rescued from a field in Eureka, where it had been sitting in pieces for an unknown amount of time. I believe the car had rear-left quarter damage at that time. In late 2004 it was purchased by a gentleman near Petaluma who built it up using a mish-mash of parts that he had available. Installed currently is a tii motor (#2760341, not original). I believe the rear end damage was repaired and the car repainted below the beltline trim. Under that same ownership, the car was hit in the back again, the bodywork repaired, and left in primer, how it sits today. I believe one of these hits resulted in a Salvage CA title. When I purchased the car I made an effort to track down the original numbers-matching block, which comes with the car.

The original color of the car is Ceylon, which is a rare shade of gold. Today the car is a patchwork of different hues of gold where paintwork was performed, capped off at the back with a brown later decklid and primer around the rear panels. All body trim is rough, but present. Seals and glass are worn. There are spots of rust around the rear windshield. The spare tire well is rotted through. There is some bubbling at the rockers and the bottom of the front and rear panels. On the upside, the floors, frame rails, and shock towers do not show rust. While the back has been damaged, the front seems to have made it through the years intact. There is no ‘snorkel,’ indicating that this is its original nose. Things look pretty straight up there.

The interior is a hodgepodge of 02 parts throughout the years. The dash is not a tii dash, but I have one (with some cracks) that will come with the car. The seats are mismatched E21 Recaros and the fabric is torn up. The front door cards came off a car that had speakers added, there are no speakers now and the door sheetmetal has not been cut up for speakers.

As mentioned, a non-matching tii motor is installed (#2760341). Sale will include the original numbers-matching block, an E12 head, and some ancillary parts. A compression test performed at the end of 2019 showed compression at 147/143/118/138. In my ownership the spark plugs, wires, distributor rotor, cap, and points were replaced. Valves clearances have been adjusted, fuel injection linkages reset and lubricated, and various crisply hoses and fuel lines replaced. The battery and starter were replaced in the last month. Brake and clutch master cylinders have been replaced under my ownership. The motor runs fine but it would be a good idea to rebuild the original numbers-matching motor to get back to original performance. The clutch works well. I rebuilt the shifter linkage in my ownership, the 4-speed transmission works fine but can give a small grind into 4th gear.

The steering feels good and tight. The brakes work well, I installed braided brake hoses. The car is lowered, I do not know which springs, but the ride is nice. Sporty but not too stiff. The wheels are 14” dog-dish style used on the Neue Klasse sedans, someone sprayed them gold at some point and I’ve plasti-dipped them black.

The lights work for the most part, I just replaced the left headlamp, which was cracked. The aftermarket head unit jammed with the faceplate deployed, so no tunes at the moment. There are two speakers in the rear parcel shelf.

It’s a charming little car. It’s not going to be a perfect car so you are free to make it what you wish. You could also just drive it as-is and enjoy the great local 2002 community and the fun events they put on through the year.

Please note that the odometer has not worked while I’ve had the car. I have no idea of mileage considering the history of the car, and the cluster may not be the original one, so I don’t want to make any guesses about mileage.

I’m looking for $9k OBO. I’m located in Sunnyvale, near Levi stadium. Thanks for your interest.

49415991246_dade5a7715_h.jpg

49416179332_33c06d27a8_h.jpg

49415494388_b8414b32b6_h.jpg

49415972601_958debe3bf_h.jpg

49415972121_7ced3f4473_h.jpg

49415972191_3ad10d0a29_h.jpg

49415493388_49c614a1f4_h.jpg

29198004432_7be35a77df_h.jpg

29227589411_5c4b783d1b_h.jpg

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.