• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road going ITB setup

SydneyTii

Just put an S14 in it and call it done. 

:D

You're welcome.

Ray Ray Ray.. we aren't all made of money :) 

Yes I genuinely agree the S14 is the answer to all power/efi/cool/oem/keeping it a BMW questions.  If the previous owner didn't put on the turbo stickers, I would have one.  I figured it was easier to turbo then to remove the stickers.  Time will tell.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I too am going EFI/ITBS.  I've done as much research as possible, and have some history with standalone ECUs.  Here is what I was planning on: 

• Jenvey Heritage ITB's (45's)
    • With throttle linkage 
    • I'll reuse my current airbox setup
  • Haltech 550 or 750 with wiring harness 
    • everything else is overkill in my opinion
    • 550 doesn't have self learning fuel trim
  • Radium FST-R fuel surge tank
    • has built in fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump
    • will only have to run one fuel line, no need for return line with the built in FPR
    • Will run one 6an fuel lines
    • Won't have to worry about fuel starvation
  • LS Coils
    • Tried and true, and are cheap to replace
    • Some sort of bracket to mount them somewhere
    • Need a block off plate for the old dizzy
  • Sensors
    • MAP (already built into ECU)
      • The heritage ITB's have a port in each runner for a vacuum lines
      • Will need to run a vacuum box (combines all lines into one box)
    • Water temp (in lower radiator)
    • Air temp (mounted in air box)
    • TPS (already built into the heritage ITBs)
    • Crank trigger wheel and sensor from IE
      • Brand new to the market but tried and true technology
    • Wideband o2 sensor

It won't be cheap $3,500-$4k, but is likely the best/easiest setup available in my opinion.  I also will sell my weber 45 setup to help offset the cost.  

You will need some sort of idle air control, or idle control don't forget.   I think you are going to be close to $6-6.5K USD.  I budgeted this much when I took a look at doing the identical setup.    You are at $4K without taxes or shipping on the primary build bits.  I was thinking of springing for the Haltech 1500 due to the fact that I wanted more sensors.   I did a MS3 Gold box for $1K which has more than I could ever use. 

$USD

Haltech 750 is $1300

Radium is $600

Jenvy ITB's $2000. 

No disrespect to your build. I would love to have it. 

Edited by Dudeland
Respect

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

How do you like your AEM?  do you work on it, or is it the shop?  I took a close look at one, but support seemed a challenge, at least in Canada/Vancouver area. 

I agree, I don't have anywhere near the knowledge to support it myself. Shop does everything. However that said, it seems rock solid and reliable.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You will need some sort of idle air control, or idle control don't forget.   I think you are going to be close to $6-6.5K USD.  I budgeted this much when I took a look at doing the identical setup.    You are at $4K without taxes or shipping on the primary build bits.  I was thinking of springing for the Haltech 1500 due to the fact that I wanted more sensors.   I did a MS3 Gold box for $1K which has more than I could ever use. 

$USD

Haltech 750 is $1300

Radium is $600

Jenvy ITB's $2000. 

No disrespect to your build. I would love to have it. 

None taken.  I live in NH, so everything is tax free!  Perhaps my pricing is what I tell my wife!  Either way...  I'll provide a total after I finish the conversion.  Weber 45's soon for sale.  

Just put an S54 in it and call it done. 

You're welcome.

what Ray really meant to say...

t

better getta bigger difffffff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I was thinking of springing for the Haltech 1500 due to the fact that I wanted more sensors.

Currently relevant... Haltech 1500 wiring harness as supplied... Even after pulling out what I don't need there are a lot of wires left...  And that's just to run the engine.  I'm doubling the number of wires that originally came in the car...

And AEM is nice stuff.  My advice would be to get what the local good tuning shop can tune.  In my case, that's Haltech because of @jimk...

IMG_20200118_170607539.jpg

IMG_20200118_170614631.jpg

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Currently relevant... Haltech 1500 wiring harness as supplied... Even after pulling out what I don't need there are a lot of wires left...  And that's just to run the engine.  I'm doubling the number of wires that originally came in the car...

And AEM is nice stuff.  My advice would be to get what the local good tuning shop can tune.  In my case, that's Haltech because of @jimk...

IMG_20200118_170614631.jpg

I love tidy wiring!  Looking great.  

• Like 1

You should post your config once complete , as a lot of people of people could use it for their S14 build.  I would love to see more about your wiring harness, I don't see too much on the site when it comes to doing wiring, 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Haltech Elite creates a connections list / wire diagram custom for the ECU mdel and installation at hand directly from the tuning software.  Attached is mine.  There is no one size fits all.

S14 2500 Conn Report.pdf

Edited by jimk
  • Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Definitely no engine swaps, I’d go sidedrafts before a different power plant.

A4s is looking simpler!

simpler not cheaper, I remember reading someone is making the throttle bodies now.

Also I’ve seen the Jenveys with threads cut into them so the Tii injectors could be used with the kuglefischer, it looks remarkably like the Alpina setup at first glance, lean running would be a concern, but I do have a AFR, 

perhaps Jenveys as described, with a Petronix or other spark,  and a cam would suffice.

A small increase in power and still a fairly easy system to maintain.

Above all I want to keep the soul of the Tii, if that makes sense.

Edited by SydneyTii

Do you have a 123 dizzy?

That, a bump in compression, and a 3.90 or 4.10 diff may just suit your requirements.

It's not like a tii motor is unreliable....

IMO.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I have petronix.

its already a euro spec Tii from the factory,

id love to replicate the A4s performance, my relatives car was great!

im leaning down that road I think.

yes my Tii is super reliable, no complaints about a Tii at all, this one has never let me down in 11 years, all my 02’s have been super reliable, but then with care they just are.

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

... to stir s*(t up a bit,  have you considered a slide throttle?  If you are looking for heritage, that would be it.   The downside is that they can get sticky from what little I have read about them.  Cool as all hell. 

I think a couple of cleverly placed bearings would improve it.  

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

2 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

... to stir s*(t up a bit,  have you considered a slide throttle?  If you are looking for heritage, that would be it.   The downside is that they can get sticky from what little I have read about them.  Cool as all hell. 

I think a couple of cleverly placed bearings would improve it.  

as that thread iterates, they ain't good for part throttle response. :)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.