Dudeland

Anybody know who owns this? DBW MS3

14 posts / 500 viewsLast Reply

Looking to get more information about this setup.  It uses the drive by wire (DBW) setup that I am contemplating using for my build.   Looking to see what he/she used as a pedal.  Super cool that it is on a carby build. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

I'm 99% sure it is a E46 M3 pedal. I remember seeing this somewhere. . . 

• Like 1

(edited)

It will be around $500-600 for the pedal and the motorized operator. Lokar makes both.

Edited by jimk

(edited)

I think it is one of those things I can add after. I am looking at about 1200-1500 all in. I ordered a Locar throttle cable for the shorter term. From reading the forum bugs in the firmware is still being worked out. Still very useable and functional. Idle control is sometimes the issue, I have had a lot of those, I want a very manageable idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dudeland

The hardware in the E46 is proving to be very robust, and it's almost free in the junkyards right now.

The electronics are embedded in the ECU, though, so you'd have to roll your own, and I'm not

sure if MS has the extra inputs, as there are 2 sensors on the pedal and 2 in the throttle body.

I dunno- the push to electric throttle was driven almost entirely by emissions,

so it seems like a lot of effort and money to adapt something that, we all agree afterwards,

just detracts from the entire driving experience....

t

likes a rod

• Like 3

(edited)

The hardware in the E46 is proving to be very robust, and it's almost free in the junkyards right now.

The electronics are embedded in the ECU, though, so you'd have to roll your own, and I'm not

sure if MS has the extra inputs, as there are 2 sensors on the pedal and 2 in the throttle body.

I dunno- the push to electric throttle was driven almost entirely by emissions,

so it seems like a lot of effort and money to adapt something that, we all agree afterwards,

t

likes a rod

Sorry I meant to explain that the there is a DBW module developed to use with the MS3, so that part is nailed down ok. Just the pedal and Throttle Body is the question.  Just wondering what the pedal assembly looks like. 

Module

https://www.dbwx2.com/

The benefits of DBW.

1) True Anti Lag

2) Torque control.

3) Enables Flat shifting. 

4) Enables LHM (limp home mode) 

5) Hyper accurate boost control. 

6) Rudimentary but effective traction control

7) Launch control

8) No throttle linkage. 

Edited by Dudeland

I'm onboard with DBW, but I'm really only on board for OEM solutions.  Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have something that has over a decade of proven use (aka E46 application).  

• Like 1

(edited)

For pedal i have one used in E85 etc.  But i might have to go with hanging pedal so i’m looking this too: bosch 0280752240 (or alike). 

This all is still in paper. Nothing has been done to make it happen yet. Maybe i will. Possibilities that Dudeland mentioned intriques.

Edited by tzei

t

likes a rod

Yeah, having played in the e46m3 world for a little bit, including tuning the DBW to make it better, in anything sporty I'll take the mechanical solution.  That's my opinion- but I just found the DBW to not be responsive enough.  Could just be the e46m3, could just be me.

d

pretty happy there's a cable to all my throttle bodies

For pedal i have one used in E85 etc.  But i might have to go with hanging pedal so i’m looking this too: bosch 0280752240 (or alike). 

This all is still in paper. Nothing has been done to make it happen yet. Maybe i will. Possibilities that Dudeland mentioned intriques.

I would like to find a solution that I didn't have to replace the pedal.   This one popped up on the web.  All these seem to be a lot more $$ than I thought.  It is a couple of pots, and a servo at the end of the day. 

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2503/Drive-By-Wire-Throttle-Pedal-Position-Sensor-Kit

I would like to find a solution that I didn't have to replace the pedal.   This one popped up on the web.  All these seem to be a lot more $$ than I thought.  It is a couple of pots, and a servo at the end of the day. 

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2503/Drive-By-Wire-Throttle-Pedal-Position-Sensor-Kit

Good find. Simple enough to attempt for diy.

If you want to keep oe (-ish) pedal then you might want to check out Z3M's solution. That could be make to work?

If you dig back into the dark days of Audi (4000?) and more recently Toyota,

there is a huge liability to 'unintended acceleration' since many now drive cars

with no ignition switch and no clutch nor gearshift.

So any OE application is going to be massively engineered to be incapable of

adding throttle when the pedal doesn't call for it.  There was a big argument in the

earlier traction control days- if traction control could add power under certain, controlled

circumstances, it would be more capable.  But it'd get the automaker sued out of existence 

in about 20 minutes.  Since the car 'almost got me killed', no matter that you WOULD have been

killed if it hadn't added rear drive traction.

It just means that there's double- redundancy, and significant complication, to any OE system,

especially a German one, where liability is often seen as an engineering challenge.

To the extent that E36 traction control adds an electric throttle in- line with the mechanical one.

That one may, on further thought, be more useful to you than the E46 throttle.

(fwiw, a 'servo' from the hardware side is just a motor and a pot- or any other positioning sensor.

Most of the OE's I've taken apart in the junkyard use a DC motor for actuation.  Easy to control)

As far as benefits, I think it's 'to taste'- I find I turn most of the 'benefits' off

(traction, etc) when I REALLY am paying attention.  And I too feel the E46 system

to be 'laggy'- I almost imagine it as the old speaking tube from the bridge:

"Captain wants more throttle"

"Aye- aye, let's see if everything down here is ready-

-Fireman?

-Aye!

-Boilerman?

-Aye!

-Navigation?

-Aye!

-Bombadier?

-Aye!

"Tell Captain we're adding throttle"

...but then, I'm just having fun with this:

I think you should dooooo eeeeet!

t

limp home mode was a bit of string tied to the crank arm on the

carb, fed out of the engine bay and through the vent window, when the 

throttle rod fell off completely and went rattling away down the freeway...

also shifts flat in anything with a rev limiter.

• Like 2