• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barrett-Jackson Offering Lot #974 SOLD

joysterm

Agreed, very nice resto in an über-desirable color with mods/upgrades that everyone wants. Front bumper adjustment should be easy and those funky fender reflectors could be removed/filled at some point.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

VIN 4381158 is a U.S.-spec 2002A manufactured in March 1974. I don’t know if it’s a factory Turkis car; it could be, as we’ve seen Turkis cars as late as April 1974. It’s obviously been converted from automatic to 5-speed overdrive transmission.

I’m guessing someone spent far more than $30K, simply to re-paint and restore the car.  Visually, I think the front spoiler on this car really hurts it: someone went to the trouble and expense to install Euro bumpers but the front spoiler leaves the car looking positively clunky.

I thought the seller’s eBay pricing, $50K and $55K, was, frankly crazy for a 1974 2002A, regardless of the restoration monies invested. But $30K looks like a well-bought car, indeed!

(These Recaro’s seem particularly large for the car. Is that simply the photography, or are these post-e21 seats, as in, for example, e30 seats?)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The Owner has been trying to sell it for over a year (Ebay etc) with no success. He wanted $50~$55k.

Yup, while I don't think what he wanted was totally unrealistic based on the caliber of the restoration coupled with the color, the modifications and upgrades, I think for most seeing a square taillight non-tii that was originally an auto with that price tag is still a bit steep, but what do I know?

The fact that the front bumper was never properly adjusted over the past two years that I've seen it for sale and those quirky front side reflectors which are just that-quirky- might have influenced prospective buyers negatively as well. The absence of that attention to detail in light of such a seemingly comprehensive restoration might've made them wonder what else needed attention or was lacking in detail that the photos did not capture.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It is also one of many '02s recently, having had a ton of money spent, that is missing the side engine bay seals. Are they NLA, or is it just lack of att'n to details?

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

They are still available ( W&N) but at a considerable cost....... 52.00 EACH + shipping  and the import duty probably  has some impact  as well
And aftermarket from Vintage Autobahn if I remember correctly for about half the price.

Another seemingly obvious and simple piece that's lacking in what seems to be otherwise a pretty comprehensive restoration. Makes one wonder what the restorer's interests or aspirations were...

(These Recaro’s seem particularly large for the car. Is that simply the photography, or are these post-e21 seats, as in, for example, e30 seats?)

I think the photography hurt the two previous attempts at a sale (e-Bay, BringaTrailer).  The lens they used seemed to mess with the scale in some of the pictures.  Fix the bumper, dump the air dam and side reflectors and this would be a very nice car to own at $30K, but not for the $50K the seller was expecting.

IMHO,

Mark92131

• Like 4

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

The buyer paid a fair price. The market in two different venues (BaT and B-J) validate this. There’s no guarantee of a seller recouping their “investment” on a restoration, which is why we always advise prospect buyers to buy the best they can afford, or to be mindful of potential total restoration cost for a project. Here’s a case of just another upside down seller who spent more than the market value. Would you spend $35k on this or an equally nice roundie? Or would you spend $50k on this or an equally nice tii? If the buyer tries to flip this, will he get more than what he just paid? YMMV, but based on my answers, fair price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1