mac

'72 '02 for your consideration

20 posts / 1076 viewsLast Reply

Love Tobacco interior.  Only saw 2 or 3 glitchy anomalies.  No deal breakers. Yes, PPI and then haggle. ☺️

The car presents well.

Jason

Curious why the gap between hood and nose looks wider than usual?  Could be just an adjustment issue, but the horizontal view appears to be level. Any other opinions? The bulge radiator hose is a nice touch. 

Curious why the gap between hood and nose looks wider than usual?  Could be just an adjustment issue, but the horizontal view appears to be level. Any other opinions? The bulge radiator hose is a nice touch. 

Hmm, that is a bit high. Could be as simple as a hood mis-adjustment after paint. There's some adjustment available at the front hinges, probably easily rectified.

Cheers,

Lovely.

Does it have a sunroof?  I'm partial to sunroof cars.

Tii money,but it'll cost an easy $50k to take one to this level.

THERE'S NO EXHAUST TIP!!!!

:D

WTF !!!

Otherwise: just wow!

Regards,

Steve

(edited)

Curious why the gap between hood and nose looks wider than usual?  Could be just an adjustment issue, but the horizontal view appears to be level. Any other opinions?

This is a great and collectible example. I’m drooling all over that interior!

But I also contend that more than half of all surviving ‘02’s have had nose jobs! All of mine, save for the ‘67 1600-2, certainly did! We ran into things with those pointy noses. Things ran into us. And installing a new OEM nosepiece was almost always cheaper than trying to fix that fragile compound curve of a nose. If done correctly, and my ‘76’s nose replacement was done correctly in 1978, a new nose is undetectable. As I got estimates for the ‘76’s Big Re-Paint in 2015, neither of two great body shops could detect that the nose and right front fender were replaced in 1978.

This ‘72 is no exception to the nose replacement rule. You can see that a body shop has attempted to “improve upon” the original nosepiece-inner fender interface. From the factory, a 1 1/4”-wide  flange of the nosepiece sits on top of the two inner fenders (first two photos). But this relatively crude finish has driven generations of body shop guys crazy, so they backfill the “step” created by the overlapping flange with body filler, smoothing it over (third photo).

As anyone who has replaced a nosepiece, front fenders, and hood on an ‘02 knows, it’s a delicate dance. Sometimes they come together better than other times. Perhaps the front of the ‘72’s hood can be lowered a bit without creating an uneven belt line. Still, I wouldn’t dismiss the car on account of this: I’d simply use it as a negotiating point.

Regards,

Steve

E74A8B9C-B6BF-47A2-8916-62844F7FA6B8.jpeg

E2B91721-780A-4EB5-ADB5-280E0432E014.jpeg

AAB495A9-CF0A-4C06-B72B-D6B3FC1C232E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Is it a bulge? It almost looks like some sort of protective donut to keep it off the alternator.

BTW, this is the same year/model/paint/interior of my first 2002 back in 1978, also strangely in St. Louis. Except mine already had rust on the front fenders and rockers from five years of St. Louis salt and such. God, I loved that car. T-boned in Houston in 1983. RIP...

hose_ring.png

(edited)

Is it a bulge? It almost looks like some sort of protective donut to keep it off the alternator.

hose_ring.png

The bulge upper radiator hose was standard issue back in the early 1970’s and remains a rare and coveted part.

Below: a factory photo of an early 2002tii, ca. April 1971.

Regards,

Steve

9F539660-C488-458E-8F2D-BEBDA9207F9E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

(edited)

My sarcasm meter is off the charts and beeping madly...

Yes, I am a sarcastic SOB, but not this time!

Factory photo of an early 2002tii, ca. April 1971....

Illustrating bulge upper radiator hose.

E72089B9-FEA9-4F05-8629-4EFD7CBDFBF2.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

Hyman is a local (St. Louis) vintage car dealer.  Reputation for asking top-dollar, but the cars are usually top quality.

I remember when he started in the early 90's with little British cars.  Mark Hyman has a special interest in Facel Vegas.

Now, he sells mostly very high end classics.  How high?  Delahaye!

https://hymanltd.com/

I think I will mosey over to his shop today to check out the Agave.  Nice runner, if a carb car is going to fetch $45k, we won't say anything to our wives about the roundie tii's Chris and I are working on.

Edited by David Layton