NeueKlasseGuy

Koepchen 2002 Winter Update- ZF Trans Install

20 posts / 707 viewsLast Reply

IMG_5715.thumb.jpg.7805e3ad0685f8c6ca7aa1bcf6ff2b94.jpg

Over the winter we freshened the motor in the Koepchen 2002 after 3 seasons of running. I took the opportunity to install an Elite updated ZF transmission in the car. I have one in the #34 Hyde Park 2002 and I love it. The throws are short and precise, and the ratios are perfect.

It is an exact copy of the ZF homologated for the 2002 but with modern internals.

IMG_3688.thumb.jpg.2358aeee673526364b0a7b4cca3eac6c.jpg

IMG_3689.thumb.jpg.38067745d399bd4a6acd37aac4d6c698.jpg

We had to make a couple of modifications to the car to get it to fit. It is a little taller than the Getrag so we had to open the top of the tunnel just a bit. We will be making a sheet metal cover to cover the hole and provide support for the shifter.

IMG_5716.thumb.jpg.ec9850683690812470f8aaec301ffcdf.jpg

We also had to redo the headers to get clearance. We chose an Alpina style header similar to what we run in my CSL.

IMG_5714.thumb.jpg.30f9ee5320d0ef7fe468f897fe39710f.jpg

We also had to make an adaptor plate to bolt it to the bell housing.

IMG_5128.thumb.jpg.c43e627f0c240f3a7d0ca43a5c8230f3.jpg

Car will be ready for our first event at Laguna Seca in March. I can't wait!

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

• Like 11

Do you like the ZF over a Tremec T-5?  I heard rumor that G-Force already has an adapter plate for the s14- which should be the same as the m10, no?

I heard rumor that G-Force already has an adapter plate for the s14- which should be the same as the m10, no?

Oh, Really ?

Oh, Really ?

That's what I hear- I haven't called G-Force yet to verify, but...  Man I'd love to be able to change ratios....

Did you have to trim the R frame rail for header clearance?  Looks a little tight on one of the tubes.    what  original trans is this ZF based on?  Looks like the early 2800CS ZF boxes       Could you have used a bell housing from a 2800 CS that would bolt up to the trans?   Not sure if they have the same bolt pattern      What are the ratio's in the ZF?

Can't wait until you get it out to the track and run it      Good luck with it

Rick

Do you like the ZF over a Tremec T-5?  I heard rumor that G-Force already has an adapter plate for the s14- which should be the same as the m10, no?

Hi Dave,

Because I "vintage" race the car I want to only use transmissions that were homologated for 02's back in the day, hence the ZF and not a Tremec.

• Thanks 1

Did you have to trim the R frame rail for header clearance?  Looks a little tight on one of the tubes.    what  original trans is this ZF based on?  Looks like the early 2800CS ZF boxes       Could you have used a bell housing from a 2800 CS that would bolt up to the trans?   Not sure if they have the same bolt pattern      What are the ratio's in the ZF?

Can't wait until you get it out to the track and run it      Good luck with it

Rick

Hi Rick,

Whew! That's a lot of questions. Here's the link to Elite's web site. I think you can find your answers there:

http://eliteracingtransmissions.com

Definitely the way to go, right gear ratio's and stronger than a 235 (any 235).  I was heading in that direction prior to having to pay the bill for my steering re-work (which I am still choking down nearly a year later.....).  You can also get spares, which really isn't the car for the 235's.  The fact you were able to get three race seasons out of your motor is impressive.

Similar idea, here:

643AB613-53BD-4E69-A03B-FD37F6F31F5C.thumb.jpeg.a43a2c7cc0553a006fcf19a1d75b5a71.jpeg

• Like 3

I wonder what the difference in weight is between the ZF Box and a 235/5? - looks heavier but doesn't necessarily mean that it is...(duh).  GR-Box is selling these, this looks like one by the super-sano appearance.

I wonder what the difference in weight is between the ZF Box and a 235/5? - looks heavier but doesn't necessarily mean that it is...(duh). 

I'll weigh it, and post.

Ken that thing is too pretty to go in your car, it needs to go on your trophy shelf. 😉

This one is going in a customer race car.

I wonder what the difference in weight is between the ZF Box and a 235/5?

Approximate weight of each gearbox, with shift tower / shift lever (I don’t have a 235/5 to weigh.) -KB

81 lbs = ZF 5 speed

66 lbs = Getrag 245 OD/CR 5 speed

52 lbs = Getrag 242 4 speed

• Thanks 1

Interesting.  I would guess a 235/5 would be about the same as a 245OD or CR - maybe a little less as I believe at least the bell part of the housing doesn't have quite the same girth to it - no science to that.  I have a bare 235/5 bell, it weighs 12lbs on the money.  15lbs or so isn't a huge amount, not insignificant either.  I would take the extra reliability of the zf and added weight over the 235 given a choice I think.  There are some parts being made again for the 235's which is good, including straight cut gears both in synchro and dog versions.