• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 Shamrock Rally date?

1936spyder

We could meet at the Chevron at 1390 Prospect Ave, Hollister, CA 95023 

Hwy 25 (South) (Turn Right)

Hwy 25 (South) Past the Pinnacles to the town of Lonoak

Lonoak Road West to 1st street King City

King City + Lunch Stop (various fast food)

King City + Fuel stop (NOTE) YOU MUST Fuel up at this point.

Hwy 101 to Jolon Road (South West) to Mission Road West (Turn Right)

Mission Road to Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd (West) (Turn Left)

Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd (West) (Turn Left)

Negro Fork (Stay to the right)

Pit-stop at Ponderosa Campgrounds

Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd becomes US Hwy Forest Route 2201 Stay on that road until Hwy 1 (North) (Turn Right)

Fuel can be found at Big Sur if needed.

Hwy 1 North to Carmel Vally Road. (Turn Right)

End at Baja Cantina American/Mexican restaurant.

+NOTE: If the gate to access Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd is closed, we can take Jolon back to Hwy 101 to Atascadero to Hwy 41 (West) to Hwy 1 North.

We could meet at the Chevron at 1390 Prospect Ave, Hollister, CA 95023 

Hwy 25 (South) (Turn Right)

Hwy 25 (South) Past the Pinnacles to the town of Lonoak

Lonoak Road West to 1st street King City

King City + Lunch Stop (various fast food)

King City + Fuel stop (NOTE) YOU MUST Fuel up at this point.

Hwy 101 to Jolon Road (South West) to Mission Road West (Turn Right)

Mission Road to Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd (West) (Turn Left)

Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd (West) (Turn Left)

Negro Fork (Stay to the right)

Pit-stop at Ponderosa Campgrounds

Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd becomes US Hwy Forest Route 2201 Stay on that road until Hwy 1 (North) (Turn Right)

Fuel can be found at Big Sur if needed.

Hwy 1 North to Carmel Vally Road. (Turn Right)

End at Baja Cantina American/Mexican restaurant.

+NOTE: If the gate to access Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd is closed, we can take Jolon back to Hwy 101 to Atascadero to Hwy 41 (West) to Hwy 1 North.

That sounds rad but way too far for me to venture for a day drive, especially on Super All-American Overhyped Chip N' 5-Layer Dip Testosterone Fest Drunk Driving Meathead Sunday

• Like 1

I went and geek'd out using Google maps: 

Came up with a 150 mile A to A route  starting at Sacyard Beer Garden on 33rd street in Sacramento.  From here it's 30 miles to reach Old Sacramento Road off of route 16. This road continues to town of Plymouth. Pass through and take Fiddletown Road to town of Fiddletown. Continue through town til Shake Ridge make RIGHT towards Volcano. Stay on road as it turns into Rams Horn Grade and then the town of Volcano. From there LEFT onto Sutter Creek Volcano Road towards Sutter Creek the town of. Once in Sutter Creek, pick up hwy 49 back to rout 16 on back to Sacyard for craft beer and fire brick oven pizzas.  

one used to be able to create a route and save/share it, but I no longer have that super power. Perhaps one of you tech dot com millionaires know how to.   

Anyways, 

I did the whole route via street view-a virtual drive. and it looks just about right for a get out and stretch the wheels shake it down meet some folks.  

If Y'all like it let's make it happen.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

Floating another idea out here assuming there is no other BA02 Shamrock event planned. This is a pretty diverse group, spread out over a large geographic area, so finding something that pleases everyone is challenging.

Conceptually, here’s the idea:

- Keeping with Shamrock Rally tradition, meet at States Coffee in Martinez;

- Drive a short 20 mile scenic loop through Franklin Canyon, Cummings Skyway, Shelby, Crocket, Port Costa with views of the Carquinez Straights and Bridge;

- Return to Martinez for a visit to the Cobra Experience Museum https://www.cobraexperience.org (Admission is $10, opens 10-3)

- Head out and drive ~20 miles through Briones Regional Park and run the “three bears” up Bear Creek Rd and down to San Pablo Dam Rd.

For food and socializing, there are a couple shamrock pub options:

- The closest is East down the Dam Rd in Orinda Theater Square at the Fourth Bore Tap & Grill (Street parking is limited, but free garage parking is available on Sunday).

- Further is a ~20-30 mile drive to the Up And Under Pub in Point Richmond, taking the Dam Rd west, Castro Ranch Rd and Pinole Valley Rd, then pop on and off I-80 to the Point via Richmond Parkway. Street parking is readily available in front as well as along Railroad Avenue.
- There are other pubs in Berkeley and Oakland, but parking/traffic become an issue. Non-pub food is also an option, but we are talking a Shamrock event, yes?

This could be a mostly self guided event with general meet up times (States around 9? Museum around 10:30? Pub 12:30-1:30 depending upon location? Head home by 2or 3?) The date is set on March 15th with the museum visit included (only one public day each month). It is somewhat centrally located between Sac and South Bay, and the drive, while shorter than a rally or tour, should offer something for everyone.

If there is enough committed interest, I can work out the route details, confirm venues, check with Steve, Tom and Larry of the BA02, and post the rogue event here on the FAQ. A volunteer to help coordinate and kick off the drive at States would be great. Thoughts?

Edited by Schon '02
  • Like 1

I see three elements at work here. 

One, " will there be a replacement for the supposed terminated Shamrock" 

Two, if a replacement where and what route continues on the tradition

Three, if not becoming the Shamrock replacement, a need for an organized drive is wanted but how centrally located can it be. 

I was more or less trying to appeal to the North Bay/Sacto crowd.  The Volcano 200 used to exist and satisfied  the fact that getting to the SF Bay Area and south from there is a pain in the ass if you live 30 miles or more away.  

but what do I know. 

I may just go and drive my route and let anyone interested meet me that day.  And if they are cool we could do a little tech session in my secret workshop.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

Wow-never thought my simple inquiry would yield such a response!

Obviously the desire and interest is there for many of us and the route suggestions all sound great so far. While I don't mind traveling a bit (I'm in Santa Clara), for some that would be prohibitive and understandably so. I do wish that I could offer some ideas re: driving routes, but my experience is limited to the hills of the mid-peninsula and portions of Marin as I split time growing up in both areas.

Regardless, I'm more than happy to help in whatever capacity is needed should we all decide to do something. I will be on vacation 2/11-2/18 and my car won't be reassembled until the first week of March ([emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]) so those are my inhibiting factors at the moment.

Thank you all again for showing such interest! Most of you I have yet to meet so hopefully this'll be the year to do so.

Cheers!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I like both of these ideas and was kicking the idea of a drive through the Delta with @alumanorm this past weekend at the nk&k meet. This could be the best of both worlds, since it is ‘midway’ between the valley and SF. Wasn’t there a Mystery River rally a few years ago? Anybody still have that route?

Edited by 1dollar93

Certainly open to a Delta drive or gathering someplace in between the valley and SF. Setting up a starting/staging point on the 80 corridor would make sense for Sac, North and East Bay’ers. There are CnCs in Fairfield on 3/14 and Vacaville on 3/15 that start at 8am, so at a minimum, they could be good places to meet and show with easy access to Hwy12 for those that want to drive on. 

Regarding a rally on 02/02/2020, it is Super Bowl Sunday and the ‘9ers are playing... not sure what interest there is for that, though the roads will likely be open as kickoff time approaches. However, the Marin CnC is in play for the morning. Will Derby or Tesoro be there?

21 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

Regarding a rally on 02/02/2020, it is Super Bowl Sunday and the ‘9ers are playing... not sure what interest there is for that, though the roads will likely be open as kickoff time approaches. However, the Marin CnC is in play for the morning. Will Derby or Tesoro be there?

Of course the weather looks clear and crisp to rally on 02/02/20 and I'll be down at the Joshua Tree that weekend... ?‍♀️

Edited by Lisa.02P
  • Like 1

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

3 hours ago, Lisa.02P said:

Of course the weather looks clear and crisp to rally on 02/02/20 and I'll be down at the Joshua Tree that weekend... ?‍♀️

02 Princess Lisa, I have hopes that some day, whenever that day may come, before the world runs out of gasoline, that you'll learn the Bay Area and its weather patterns don't revolve around you...

?‍♂️

lol ?

• Like 1

02 Princess Lisa, I have hopes that some day, whenever that day may come, before the world runs out of gasoline, that you'll learn the Bay Area and its weather patterns don't revolve around you...
[emoji2273]

lol [emoji6]

LOL! Well said [emoji6]

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

An Alfa club member shared a Super Drive Sunday (02/02/20) rally route. The staging time is probably around 8:30 - 9:00 am in the Sea Bowl parking lot in Pacifica. The lunch stop is in Boulder Creek and returns to Pacifica. The unofficial rally is open to all with no club affiliation.

DBAD5840-B23B-4D3E-8042-B43CC6B6EDA3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

An Alfa club member shared a Super Drive Sunday (02/02/20) rally route. The staging time is probably around 8:30 - 9:00 am in the Sea Bowl parking lot in Pacifica. The lunch stop is in Boulder Creek and returns to Pacifica. The unofficial rally is open to all with no club affiliation.

DBAD5840-B23B-4D3E-8042-B43CC6B6EDA3.jpeg

Ahh...thanks. That’s the one.

Edited by golf73