• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii CS Temperature Time Switch differences

David Layton

We are tracing the Cold Start system which is not kicking in.  I am tracking down the items I may need.  I noticed that the Temperature Time Switch (136213006) is a wee-bit different from the original.  On the original, the male tabs on the unit are parallel and on the new rendition, they are in a line.  As the female plugs on the harness are free floating, (i.e. not in a socket), I assume these would not be an issue.

Hi,

There could possibly be differences based on region - cold weather/hot weather perhaps. I've only seen one type installed. That being said, Bosch build several varieties of TTS (for Mercedes, Volvo, Alfa, etc.) and so perhaps the one installed is from a different car.

http://www.bosch-classic.com/en/internet/bosch_classic/produkte/motor_1/thermozeitschalter/thermozeitschalter___mit_teaser_1.html

Can you post photos, especially the markings/numbers?

I built a test rig for the cold start relay circuit, happy to run it through the paces if you wish.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

When did it last work?

AMHIK that one tii harness has ends which will allow it to be installed incorrectly ;-)

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

When did it last work?

AMHIK that one tii harness has ends which will allow it to be installed incorrectly ?

Cheers,

Great point Ray. Yes, the two leads (TH and TK) are not interchangeable.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

I have had the car for nearly 2 years and for 9 months, it was on my brother's garage hoist while bits were fixed on the motor and clutch, shift linkage and transmission mount, a PO's wiring was corrected and the firewall rust and pedal box were repaired.  (See article in the bodywork section.)  We started it with patience, so I am thinking this may not have been working at all.  (My other old car is a Triumph TR4a, so I have a knack on key and throttle.)  

Car did not have a CS relay.  I borrowed one from the parts car.  PO had an arrangement of cable jumpers linking 5 of the 6 connectors in lieu of missing Relay on the harness. 

On the wiring harness, the two wires going to the temperature timer are both white.  I am not seeing the white and black.  I also need to look at the switch, not sure if the prongs are marked in any way.  Odd, the Relay was made error-resistant by having the prongs mounted in an irregular plug to avoid plugging in backwards, surprised that the Temp Timer was not set up that way.

I have many of the various Cold Start articles, so we should test the system into a cup and then test each of the 4 elements:  Harness, Relay, temp/time and injector.  

I have had the car for nearly 2 years and for 9 months, it was on my brother's garage hoist while bits were fixed on the motor and clutch, shift linkage and transmission mount, a PO's wiring was corrected and the firewall rust and pedal box were repaired.  (See article in the bodywork section.)  We started it with patience, so I am thinking this may not have been working at all.  (My other old car is a Triumph TR4a, so I have a knack on key and throttle.)  

Car did not have a CS relay.  I borrowed one from the parts car.  PO had an arrangement of cable jumpers linking 5 of the 6 connectors in lieu of missing Relay on the harness. 

On the wiring harness, the two wires going to the temperature timer are both white.  I am not seeing the white and black.  I also need to look at the switch, not sure if the prongs are marked in any way.  Odd, the Relay was made error-resistant by having the prongs mounted in an irregular plug to avoid plugging in backwards, surprised that the Temp Timer was not set up that way.

I have many of the various Cold Start articles, so we should test the system into a cup and then test each of the 4 elements:  Harness, Relay, temp/time and injector.  

Trace the two white wires back to the CS relay - that would be my first step. Second step is to ensure the CS relay is wired properly (12v, GND, etc.) No room for error on either.

The TTS wiring plug is indeed designed to fit only one way and so the plug on your car must be missing.

Take a look at my blog posts, it walks through the wiring and test cases. 

Cheers,

Jason

Yes, two spade connectors.  

If it helps, feel free to PM me and we can chat too.

Jason