• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974tii rim color

GC-CA

Does anyone know the color name/code of the stock rims on 1974 tii?  I’m having my 13” Steele’s powder coated and want to get as close to a stick color as possible to go with a Malaga top coat

thanks in advance

Polaris!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Polaris might be a fine color to use on the rims for a Malaga car, but, just to be clear, the original wheel silver was emphatically not Polaris, and was the same for all exterior colors. I’ve owned a Polaris car for 43+ years and factory steel wheels — in original silver — do not play particularly well with the Polaris. The silver BMW used on rims — and it frequently varied from batch to batch — tended to have a slight green cast, and was never strongly metallic, as Polaris is. It was also much more satin than Polaris, which further distinguished it from the high-gloss Polaris, and had frequent defects, such as runs and thin spots.

Lots of threads on the topic of wheel silver!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I think I got pretty close to the original (photo 1) with "Porsche Silver" offered by my powder coater.  The color, texture, and sheen seem to agree with Steve's aforementioned comments.  Other photos show the result.

Good luck.

Larry

IMG_4364.thumb.jpeg.ebfa5024a471177957366b63cdb73b59.jpegIMG_4371.thumb.jpeg.98dc260092570c2ae15eaf99ee98747a.jpegIMG_4374.thumb.jpeg.2a603532f8670bdb388bc5b05465bd0b.jpegIMG_4755.thumb.jpg.46c4ba398c6d3d3b251cea766fd36116.jpg

• Like 3

I think I got pretty close to the original (photo 1) with "Porsche Silver" offered by my powder coater.  The color, texture, and sheen seem to agree with Steve's aforementioned comments.  Other photos show the result.

Good luck.

Larry

IMG_4364.thumb.jpeg.ebfa5024a471177957366b63cdb73b59.jpegIMG_4371.thumb.jpeg.98dc260092570c2ae15eaf99ee98747a.jpegIMG_4374.thumb.jpeg.2a603532f8670bdb388bc5b05465bd0b.jpegIMG_4755.thumb.jpg.46c4ba398c6d3d3b251cea766fd36116.jpg

They look very good! What we need is the RAL number for “Porsche Silver”.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

They look very good! What we really need is the RAL number for “Porsche Silver”.

Best regards,

Steve

Not too silvery, man? As nice as they look, especially with CN36's, shaved side reflectors, Euro turn signals and bumpers, inka paint, I kinda think they're a little too silvery. Just my opinion though, and we know everyone has one of those! ?

I dunno!  It’s hard to judge once rims are on the car due to shade and shadows. And I believe “the correct color” is a range, not a single color. BMW didn’t sweat details such as rim color.

Here are a couple of photos of my ‘76 in April 1977; the car was manufactured April 23, 1976. So the rims were a year old at that point. But also note that each looks to be a different color, due to the different lighting that falls on each. And... my ‘76’s five original rims had three different dates — not at all unusual — so I’d bet the five weren’t a perfect match at the start.

The third and fourth photos are of a May 1972 tii rim with original paint (front and rear). It’s been sitting in my basement since 1974, when I parted the car. A few years ago, I clay-barred and waxed the rim to get a better look at its finish and color.

Regards,

Steve

123B4365-E4AC-4F51-91ED-19CC3BCB59B2.jpeg

3B454CC1-CED5-46F0-8A89-327A9F7011A8.jpeg

89782A6F-DFD5-46D3-B686-6E8226D495DC.jpeg

942DED13-38F2-4D6F-8CF6-F763060810D4.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

I dunno!  It’s hard to judge once rims are on the car due to shade and shadows. And I believe “the correct color” is a range, not a single color. BMW didn’t sweat details such rim color.

Here are a couple of photos of my ‘76 in April 1977; the car was manufactured April 23, 1976. So the rims were a year old at that point. But also note that each looks to be a different color, due to the different lighting that falls on each. And... my ‘76’s five original rims had three different dates — not at all unusual — so I’d bet the five weren’t a perfect match at the start.

The third and fourth photos are of a May 1972 tii rim with original paint (front and rear). It’s been sitting in my basement since 1974, when I parted the car. A few years ago, I clay-barred and waxed the rim to get a better look at its finish and color.

Regards,

Steve

Perhaps. Then many shades/sheens of aluminum/silver are correct. Then, can this range be determined to put this question to rest - ?

Perhaps, but I doubt there would be much difference - more so if one was Kronprinz, one was Lemmerz, or manufacture dates were far apart, etc. There is also apparent brake pad dust on your right front wheel, no? Just sayin

Your 5/72 tii wheels appear slightly shinier/"brighter" but again, could appear different due to lighting/flash/dirt/wear/god, etc and that they had ~1.5 years of use, likely covered by full wheel covers during that time, and put in a basement away from fading light for 45 years - unique circumstances for sure.

• Like 1

Interesting comments...and I agree with Steve--the colors varied over the years.  I have several original 4.5" wheels from my '69, removed in 1970 when I discovered 5" Opel station wagon wheels.  They still have their original paint, and it's almost a hammertone silver--not a nice even color at all.  And the back sides are black, with overspray through the holes. 

I also have a couple more wheels--a 5" roundie tii wheel, and a slotted 5" wheel from a squarelight, also with original paint.  A completely different silver, much closer to my favorite wheel silver paint, Krylon "Dull Aluminum."  Also not painted on the back.  These are all Lemmertz wheels, and I suspect they came from the manufacturer painted black, and BMW (or someone) painted the front sides silver, and left the backs alone.  

Same with at least the roundie alloys from FPS:  silver on the front, and primer grey on the back,with silver overspray through the slots.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite