Cruzr

Left frame rail repair

5 posts / 357 viewsLast Reply

Trying to decide what to do about the left frame rail. The lower section under the floor board was completely rusted. Some time ago, a fellow member of the board sold me that lower section in very good condition and I believe it is possible to weld the two sections I have, after taking all the measurements.

RD still has brand new left frame rails, and buying one is another option.

Has someone successfully grafted two sections of the frame rail together? Should I be concerned with the strength of the weld?

TIA

Trying to decide what to do about the left frame rail. The lower section under the floor board was completely rusted. Some time ago, a fellow member of the board sold me that lower section in very good condition and I believe it is possible to weld the two sections I have, after taking all the measurements.

RD still has brand new left frame rails, and buying one is another option.

Has someone successfully grafted two sections of the frame rail together? Should I be concerned with the strength of the weld?

TIA
They are available again

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

(edited)

Robert,

I did exactly that except it was my right frame rail that rusted thru.  I had a section that was in great shape.  Took it to a shop that was known for it restoration work, specifically on early Mustangs. Told them what I wanted. The owner said they do that all the time, took me back into the shop where they were working on a Mustang to show me.  They removed the section that was bad, took the good piece I supplied, welded it into place and all is well. That was about eight years ago. Any good body shop with access to a lift should be able to do this for you.  Stay well my friend.........

V/r

Earl

Edited by Emyers
  • Like 2

The same thing happened to my '69 back in the early 1980s, primarily caused by a leaking master cylinder.  Brake fluid ran down the frame rail, under the firewall and rusted out the section of frame rail under the driver's floor. 

I obtained a replacement piece cut from a nice, dry Texas parts car (thanks, Terry Sayther!) and our local body shop welded in place.  That was well over 30 years and 150k miles ago, and nothing's fallen off yet!  Just make sure you have a welder who knows his/her stuff.  A good solid rail from a parts car, or a section cut from a replacement--either will work in the hands of a good welder.

You might also consider having a gusset plate welded in between the frame rail and firewall where the former passes under the latter.  Race cars have been reinforced there--I'm sure there are pictures on the FAQ showing what I'm talking about.

mike

• Like 2

Yep:

First time welding stuff, so I'm sure it would be better if a pro did it, but it should still be structurally sound.

Trying to replace the whole thing would be a LOT more work.