• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 45 DCOE Conversion

Senna27

7 hours ago, zinz said:

You can see that there are many facets to this whole "I want to put sidedrafts on my car"  :)  

Ed

There is indeed... The good news is, weather here in Toronto sucks for another 4 months, so I've got lots of time to sort this out. The bad news is, weather here in Toronto sucks for another 4 months. 

I'm still pondering linkage and filter options. I see that IE has rebuilt tii boosters for sale. That, and losing the windshield washer bottle would certainly make it easier to install straight stacks and UNI filters.

As for the linkage, I've heard arguments both for and against the ti style linkage and cable style configurations. Some say the cable style conversion makes it easier to setup the carbs, as engine vibration/shaking doesn't get transmitted through the rigid linkage, which can in turn affect tuning the carbs. 

Just telling you what I've heard. Sorry for all this time on my hands. ;)

Thoughts?  

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

6 hours ago, rcf925 said:

I have the ram air filters with some angled stacks, there about 3.5" long. Runs great

2002 Engine Bay.jpg

Weber setup.jpg

Nice. Where are the stacks from? Stock booster? What's in the cable thingy in the plastic bag? 

Edited by Senna27

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

9 hours ago, Senna27 said:

Nice. Where are the stacks from? Stock booster? What's in the cable thingy in the plastic bag? 

Stacks are buried in the foam filters in first photo, In second photo there standing at bottom of pic, Not the best angle but there is a slight curve toward the bell end. It's under carb cable linkage in the bag, Like what you first posted, It works fine but it's hard to get a good smooth cable routed to linkage, Not sure If i'm going to keep it

54 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

It works fine but it's hard to get a good smooth cable routed to linkage,

This is why I like the factory mechanical linkage. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

If there is vacuum or pressure in front of the velocity stacks, the bowl vented area will not 'see' it,.

Plus, the bowl vents are covered by those mesh filters, while the stacks are open to the filtered area.

The DCOE draws correction air from the bowl vent area, and with reversion pulsing in the filtered intake

area, there could be a significant dynamic difference between the float bowl and the carb body.,

This has the potential to mess up float level, air corrector flow, and interstellar planetary alignment.

It may also make the air correction jetting different.

Adding a tube up to the filtered intake area would correct pressure- but would then become a tuned 

space of its own.

As I said, it's a  potential problem, not necessarily enough to mess up a street car.

As to linkages, I have found that any decent linkage that keeps the carbs synced is good.

Surprisingly few do that.  The 'rod' works OK, because the linkage should be slack at idle

as the carbs are on their idle stops, and under load, it 'adds fuel' in a positive way as the engine shifts.

I've never tried a cable linkage, only because there are a lot more details, and each has devils in it.

t

has chased more trivial things than this.

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

8 hours ago, zinz said:

I’ll just drop this picture here for confusitory purposes... velocity stacks on the vent hole ?

119C1DF4-23A6-4518-B4E7-2CD7F49360BE.thumb.jpeg.65af085e35be8f81d729191d104f2f40.jpeg

That's sofa king pretty...

... and one can tune the bowl vent length independently!  

hee

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the carbs. Pierce Manifolds will jet the carbs based on my engine configuration. I'm to tell them what modifications I've made so they can jet accordingly. I installed an IE 292' cam and HD valve springs when I refreshed the head last spring. Other than a new dizzy with igniter and a blue coil, the only other modification is a tii exhaust manifold and an Ansa exhaust.  

So for jetting, when it comes to the tii manifold, would you say it breaths closer to a stock manifold or a header? Anything else that may factor in to the equation they should be made aware of? 

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

• 3 weeks later...

You've been helpful with linkage, stacks, filters etc. but my last post didn't generate any feedback. So I'll try one more time.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the carbs. Pierce Manifolds will jet the carbs based on my engine configuration. I'm to tell them what modifications I've made so they can jet accordingly. I installed an IE 292' cam and HD valve springs when I refreshed the head last spring. Other than a new dizzy with igniter and a blue coil, the only other modification is a tii exhaust manifold and an Ansa exhaust.  

So for jetting, when it comes to the tii manifold, would you say it breaths closer to a stock manifold or a header? Anything else that may factor in to the equation they should be made aware of? 

Edited by Senna27

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Consideration: It's great to get it close, but don't sweat the exactness .. if you want accurate and precise jetting, take your car to a chassis dyno after the carbs are installed. (Find/bring a competent Weber carb tuner person, and bring a box of various jets). Or, install A/F meter and learn to jet yourself. -KB

Nope.

(edit- I was noping OP's post, not you, Ken.  As in, yup, that's about what they'll need to know)

You should ask THEM how they set float level, and do that religiously

at least 3 times in the tuning process...  buy a synchrometer

from them, just so they know you have it, and which one it is.  They 

are very inexpensive, and invaluable.

And, they know more than we do about what affects their jetting formula, 

so they'll ask about things they consider important.

The other aspect of this is: there are a LOT of variables, and the jets are

far from all of them. 

God luck, and have fun- DCOEs are wonderful little beasts.

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Thanks 1

Airhorns and UNI filters will fit with the washer bottle and booster. It's VERY tight, I wont lie about that...

The cable linkage on there has been since removed. I am now running a Ti linkage an like it exponentially more than the cable. Issue I had with the cable was it was extremely stiff and the pedal throw went way down making precise throttle changes hard. It came down to the geometries of the lever arms wasn't right (I bought it that way).The Ti linkage to me looked better, was cleaner, and engineered to work out of the box. Downside, you lose your cold start.

DCOE's.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2