Senna27

Weber 45 DCOE Conversion

112 posts / 6858 viewsLast Reply

Hey kids, it's time for an upgrade from my trusty Weber 32/36 DGV to twin 45 DCOE from Pierce Manifolds. A little Christmas present to myself. I had the head freshened up last year and installed an IE 292' cam, HD rocker arms, rocker locks, stiffer valve springs, new mechanical advance dizzy with ignitor and a blue coil.

I now plan on ordering the following:

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/Weber_carbs_BMW_TWIN_45_DCOE_p/k205.htm

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/52845.010.htm

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/99217.250.htm

My friend who's going to do the work in the spring said I also need "the conversion to the cable from the solid link throttle linkage." Pierce said they don't have such a kit. What's the best way to tackle this? I will also order the water bypass kit from IE.

Any suggestion? 

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

my struggle was my brake booster clearance - I suggest IE angle up intakes - or those super short ones you posted, but i dont know if the booster will restrict air flow being that close. 

• Like 1

Good point to bring up.  Installing a Tii brake booster can solve a lot of these fitment issues, but if you keep the standard booster, the airhorns/filters could hit the booster.  No airhorns and "pancake" filters on will clear the booster, but they are the worst option for clean airflow into the carbs.

I use early Solex velocity stacks and UNI filters with 15 degree angled bases.  They clear the booster and have a LOT of filter area to provide good airflow while allowing lots of that beautiful reversion noise to play in harmony with the exhaust note :)

Definitely research what velocity stacks might best suit your setup.  The UNI filters will likely need a rubber "donut" that rides just behind the tulip of the stack and helps seal the UNI filter base.

Here's a link to the filter (the red sock pre-filter is removable, I only run the main black filter)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ufi-up-6245ast?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxMLvBRBNEiwAKhr-nBslLHLBJVCXziSXbqwEEIP7PIt732bpKKqnIEIR4wyGsY_0CZEQKxoCEDgQAvD_BwE

See pic below for the donut I'm talking about.  

and Ireland's set up

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product-category/2002-parts/2002-intake-carbs-fuel/

filter.jpg

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

16 hours ago, zinz said:

Hal Boyles here on FAQ sells a nice reproduction of the Ti linkage. Super easy to install...

Ed

Thanks Ed, Hal's linkage looks like it'll do the trick. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Senna27 said:

Thanks Ed, Hal's linkage looks like it'll do the trick.

I've run a Ti linkage on my '71 for many years with zero issues. It provides very good feel and the return spring I have installed allows effortless heel-toe throttle blips. 

Hal's kit is complete and well-made.

52 minutes ago, MrAdams said:

my struggle was my brake booster clearance - I suggest IE angle up intakes - or those super short ones you posted, but i dont know if the booster will restrict air flow being that close. 

Yes, that looks to be an issue which is why I was told to go with the 1" stacks and screens. Then Jireland2002 said they noticed a loss of power with those screens. I'm not even sure the angled stacks with foam filters will fit, as my windshield washer reservoir sits between the booster and the firewall. Decisions, decisions...

You can move the washer bottle to the earlier position by unbolting the bracket and pop rivet or bolt to the other side and extending the hose and wires. I have used the stock ti linkage for many many years and it's trouble free, I also raised the bridge legs between the carbs that holds the end ball about 1" so I could use the cold start system (turns out I don't, but I could) I don't know if Hal does this with his reproduction but it's easy enough to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Senna27 said:

my windshield washer reservoir sits between the booster and the firewall.

That is an easy move to the passenger side fender.  You'll also need to move your coil closer to the dizzy at the same time.  Again, easy.

Screens on velocity stacks are for Cars&Coffee show days. Sidedrafts and ITBs want a lot of undisturbed air in front of the intake, this is why BMW spent so much money developing the tuned DTM air box for the S14 and why Alpina used the Ti aircan with open filter elements.

The tulip shape on velocity stacks smooth the incoming air. ...Google "velocity stack" for diagrams on the hows and whys. Also look up "reversion" in the same search... how the incoming fuel/air bounces back up the intake runner when the intake valve closes.

Proper stacks and filters will fit.  The horsepower/torque gains from a properly sized stack and a good filter is not internet hogwash. Tuning the intake runner with velocity stack length is what engine tuners have done for years. 

54 minutes ago, zinz said:

Good point to bring up.  Installing a Tii brake booster can solve a lot of these fitment issues, but if you keep the standard booster, the airhorns/filters could hit the booster.  No airhorns and "pancake" filters on will clear the booster, but they are the worst option for clean airflow into the carbs.

I use early Solex velocity stacks and UNI filters with 15 degree angled bases.  They clear the booster and have a LOT of filter area to provide good airflow while allowing lots of that beautiful reversion noise to play in harmony with the exhaust note :)

Definitely research what velocity stacks might best suit your setup.  The UNI filters will likely need a rubber "donut" that rides just behind the tulip of the stack and helps seal the UNI filter base.

Here's a link to the filter (the red sock pre-filter is removable, I only run the main black filter)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ufi-up-6245ast?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxMLvBRBNEiwAKhr-nBslLHLBJVCXziSXbqwEEIP7PIt732bpKKqnIEIR4wyGsY_0CZEQKxoCEDgQAvD_BwE

See pic below for the donut I'm talking about.  

and Ireland's set up

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product-category/2002-parts/2002-intake-carbs-fuel/

filter.jpg

Ed Z

I'm not even sure if there's enough room with the standard 2002 booster and those angled stacks from IE. As you can see in this photo I found, there isn't much room. Mind you, the ones in this photo might be the 2". Want to make sure I get this sorted before I order all the bits.

BMW 2002 Double Weber 40 DCOE Installation client.jpg

5 minutes ago, Senna27 said:

there isn't much room

Not sure who's intake that is.  It is long.  Read that Jalopnik article I just posted.  The intake "length" is from the top of the intake valve to the lip of the air inlet (lip of the velocity stack)  Adding length is easier to do with the stack.  Go find some OEM side draft intake manifolds (Connor at Vintage Autobahn can get them for you).  It's what I run.

976070D9-FB87-4161-B692-510B21E14324.thumb.jpeg.91144ad7d85e981cc7dd9d3134967a08.jpeg

BB2859F3-50DD-4430-BE29-EA2231D650C1.thumb.jpeg.7f9953bfe31066f49360e7bfc85b15fc.jpeg

Only #1 filter slightly touches the battery terminal. No other interference. 

Ed

Edited by zinz