tech71

Hepolite Pistons

13 posts / 424 viewsLast Reply

So I bought a set of Hepolite pistons PN 18852, 89mm STD bore, flat top. These are complete NOS pistons with rings, pins and clips.

I did my due diligence and learned what I could: made in England, an established company producing engine components for a lot of different vehicles for many many years.

Seems well regarded.

Anybody have any first hand experience with these?

Thanks, Mikey

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by tech71

I put hepolite pistons into a triumph spitfire long ago, ran for some 60kmiles before I sold it. Old Land Rover manuals refer to them as oe parts. Didn't know they made pistons for the 02. If I got them cheaply I would be happy, otherwise hmm.

Just a piston and engine component manufacturer based in the UK. I thought at the time it was a material, but they also make just cast nural pistons....they were big in the age of BMC, less so in the times of British Leyland and seem to be concentrating on vintage British Motor bikes. Were taken over, but not by one of the well known global engine components manufacturers. Their home page doesn't include an application catalog so not sure how you can buy their pistons today. I guess Mikeys were NOS items.

Andrew

25 minutes ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Didn't know they made pistons for the 02. If I got them cheaply I would be happy, otherwise hmm.

I didn't either.

I paid $150 for the set. Thinking about an engine project I am starting that requires flat tops.

At $37.50 a piece, the cost/ benefit margin is pretty appealing

That's a deal. 

If they're the usual UK style offering, they'll be good for 50k+, and these days,

that's just fine.

Did they come with rings?

If not, Deves makes a comparable- quality ring set that seals pretty well.

Where did you find them?

t

Always thought BMW pistons were overpriced.

Especially since I can buy a set of Mahles for a 

351 W for less than half of what they cost for a 2002

• Like 1

Used lots of hepolite piston sets when I use to do lots of British stuff    Decent pistons, never had any issues with them   Used some in racing engines, really had to make sure of the weight balance on them 

17 hours ago, TobyB said:

Did they come with rings?

If not, Deves makes a comparable- quality ring set that seals pretty well.

Where did you find them?

t

Always thought BMW pistons were overpriced.

Especially since I can buy a set of Mahles for a 

351 W for less than half of what they cost for a 2002

Complete with rings, pins and clips, got them from an Ebayer in PR. Only the one set unfortunately.

Been searching online pretty regular. Managed to spot them shortly after they were posted.

After weeks of viewing a sad selection of used 8.3 :1 piano tops being offered for just stupid money, they looked pretty good.

Even if I dont use them I figure they may be  good trading stock.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by tech71

David Vizard (a classic British tuner) would recommend Hepolite pistons over others when he couldn’t get ’trick’ Or custom parts. I would run them, noting that they were made by British, as opposed to German or even Japanese, unionised labor. As Toby says, good for 50K plus. 

Now all ya have to do is hope your cylinder bores aren't so far gone/used that you can still use original, standard bore pistons.  

Good Luck. 

Mac. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That would be nice, keeping my fingers crossed.  I have a few blocks to choose from and I suspect that if required, I could  sleeve /bore back to standard for considerably less  than a set of new aftermarket oversized pistons. 

Edited by tech71

39 minutes ago, tech71 said:

That would be nice, keeping my fingers crossed.  I have a few blocks to choose from and I suspect I could  sleeve /bore back to standard for considerably less  than a set of new aftermarket oversized pistons. 

In my experience, you're looking at $130-150 parts and labor, per sleeve. And then add cost to bore/hone. (If you get it for way less, shoot me a PM). Fun project, regardless. -KB