NeueKlasseGuy

Mystery Solved!

6 posts / 955 viewsLast Reply

It has only taken three years but we finally know why the Martini engine in my 700 quit at the Rolex races in 2016. Here's the answer:

output.thumb.jpg.7dec165b142ebaeaffd08c65c5050109.jpg

Seems we broke a rod. ?  Fortunately internal damage was not too bad. Terry Tinney will be looking in to options for repair.Hopefully we can get the car back on track soon!

• Sad 2

Looks like a fault in the rod.  As I recall those rods were not the most sturdy looking.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, gracer said:

Looks like a fault in the rod.  As I recall those rods were not the most sturdy looking.

Hi Gordon,

We purchased a complete rotating assembly from a 700 "expert" who, when it broke, said, "You should never use that rod in that application." When we reminded him that we purchased the assembly from him he went silent. I think it was a stock rod which would never take the extra HP.

From the photo it looks like it has an inclusion on one side.  Hard to find with out Xray.

Sounds like too early to get broke. Have you successfully repaired it?