WPGB

Ditching My Hubcaps, Replacing With 14” Steelies!

38 posts / 2230 viewsLast Reply

What’s up guys.

I have a YouTube channel that centers on  classic German sports cars and I just published a video about my 1970 ‘02.

In the video, I talk about the extremely simple process for prepping and painting e30 steelies and then swapping them out for the hubcaps that, while correct for the car, aren’t really for me.

My car was restored by the Werk Shop and over the next 2 months or so I’ll be publishing videos covering the (hopefully) tasteful and minimalist mods I’ll be doing to the car.

If you’re interested in 02 video content, check it out, subscribe and give me a thumbs up (or down lol!).

Also, if you have any insights or thoughts to add, pls be sure to comment below the video so other viewers can benefit from your comments.

Hope this type of post is allowed.  If not, please delete with my apologies.

DITCHING Hubcaps and Putting e30 Spare Wheels On My BMW 2002:

• Like 1

I bought them form an 02 buddy who decided to go in a different direction after he bought them.

The sources shared are both viable.  I think my seller bought them from ECS.

Thanks for watching.  Next 2002 video will be an overview of the 6 or so mods I’ll be doing to the car.

Nice car and great bbs,

the steelies certainly suit it.

i recently went back to13’s and was pleasantly  surprised how much I liked them.

Probably the best steel wheel conversion if you want to go with a 14" wheel.  Offset and width won't cause rubbing problems, and they look a lot like the Alpina (Borrani) steel wheels when mounted on the car.  Inexpensive too...

BTW, where are you in NC?

mike

Nice car, and great video.  However...(you knew that was coming right?), I think you'll regret rattle canning the wheels.  You'd have been much better off using a single stage urethane, or even a base/clear system.  

• Like 1

You could always get 14" steelies with hubcaps. I do like your steelies though

ZBL10-2019.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tdh said:

Nice car, and great video.  However...(you knew that was coming right?), I think you'll regret rattle canning the wheels.  You'd have been much better off using a single stage urethane, or even a base/clear system.  

No doubt, I agree with you.  

I would have done more research into a more durable solution and spent more time on these wheels if I were gonna keep them on the car long term.

The problem with my car that’s preventing the BBS’s from fitting is one that’s gonna require some relative surgery (I will talk about the issue in depth a future episode...it’s very unfortunate) but once that’s fixed those wheels will be my “forever wheels” and the steelies will likely end up in the parts classifieds on FAQ.

Thanks for the insight.

I got my e30 steelies from the dealer who luckily is not too far from where I live. They usually discount and no shipping charge. Tax though. They were a good price but then there's the weird center caps held on by lug nuts. Still seems a good deal for new wheels.

• Like 1

Just now, dirving said:

I got my e30 steelies from the dealer who luckily is not too far from where I live. They usually discount and no shipping charge. Tax though. They were a good price but then there's the weird center caps held on by lug nuts. Still seems a good deal for new wheels.

In my case, I feel like the chrome lugs and the center caps really make the wheels.  I don’t know that I would like them as much without that touch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYNick said:

Or, get the center caps and save paint.

unnamed-3.jpg

That looks good against that silver paint.

I gave some thought to staying with black but ultimately felt the silver was right for the car.