2002FjordBaur

Sooty spark plugs - troubleshooting help please

9 posts / 283 viewsLast Reply

Hi all,

Couldn't find a definitive answer via 'Search' so here I am...

I have a standard Baur set up, but with a single Weber carb, new coil and leads and Powerspark Module in Distributor have been fitted.

I was working on my engine over the weekend and had the car running at idle for a while - (checking charging issues and various leaks).

The car always starts well, but does idle a bit lumpy and has recently been 'missing' on acceleration - I did suspect one cylinder was inactive? 

When I checked the plugs, they were all as pictured.

So to my limited experience, I suspect my car is running 'rich' but this is the first time I've had the plugs out and the car hasn't had a good run recently.

Just checking what process I should use to troubleshoot, such as...

Should I take the car for a good run at speed and then check plugs for a true reading?

Is timing and ignition crucial before playing with carb settings?

etc.

As alway, any advice much appreciated

regards

Franc

rich_plug.jpg

23 minutes ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

Should I take the car for a good run at speed and then check plugs for a true reading?

Is timing and ignition crucial before playing with carb settings?

Yes and yes. No point trying to diagnose and tune without a proper baseline.

Valves properly adjusted?

What plugs are they? Gapped correctly?

Where is your timing currently set? (does the timing mark "bounce" in the timing light strobe? ...could indicate a worn distributor giving an erratic spark signal)

After you confirm the ignition side of things, then fiddle with carb, though a dirty idle jet can easily be cleared if you want to jump ahead.

Some things to look into...

Ed

• Like 1

And the chock flap must be open when engine is warm otherwise  the carb will cause rich condition  due too not enough air.

And get the idle sorted as best you can, as well.  What you're seeing is carbon fluff, and it's usually

an idle problem, unless you're grossly rich at cruise- which isn't all that common.

Do check your float level and fuel pressure early in the process, along with the other good 

advice above.  I think what we're all saying is 'fix it first', as in, make sure 

all elements are working correctly, before you move to the 'tuning' phase where

you're making adjustments.

t

sometimes it's just a sinking float!

• Like 1

Or as my late father-in-law (who started wrenching on Model T's) told me repeatedly, "Mike, 90% of your carburetor problems are in your ignition.  Keep your cotton-pickin' hands off the carb 'till you know the ignition is correct."  And he was (almost always) right!

mike

• Like 1

If you had the engine running at idle for an unusual amount of time, yes- I suggest you take it out for an "Italian" tuneup (not used as a pejorative term or intended to insult any Italians or people of Italian heritage) and then see what your plugs look like, without letting the car idle for long when you get back to the garage. Unless you have some kind of general ignition failure, the only ignition problem that would cause your plugs to carbon up like that is the wrong heat range plug. On the other hand, lots of non-plug related problems could cause that.

Which plugs are you running? You said this is the first time you have had the plugs out of the engine, so it may be difficult to conclude that the condition of you plugs has anything to do with your poor running conditions.

Edited by Chris_B
typo