Crash513

Testing the waters: Re-imagined early grill sets for 2002's

22 posts / 643 viewsLast Reply

Price: $100

Description:

Hi all. 

I am working with a friend who is an avid 2002 enthusiast owns a 3D printer.  He and his partner (who owns a CNC machine shop) have successfully used their printer to produce small replacement parts.  He is now considering re-imagining new plastic grills for early 2002's.  Imagine a grill insert that will fit an early car, but looks like the black plastic grills from a later car, and you get the idea.  The completed new product would be made of a high quality, highly durable plastic material that should hold up for many years, yet be reasonably low priced.  

I wanted to float this idea in the community to see if anyone might be interested in buying a set of such grills if they were made available.  Nothing has been developed yet, and if this goes forward it would of course start with a prototype.  But once the design has been digitized, they will have the ability to reproduce multiple sets.  If this sounds like something you may be interested in for your car, please PM me.  

Thanks,

Crash   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mlytle said:

Just reading the title, I was afraid intent was to put x7 grill on 02.....🤣

LOL... Ironically I'm shopping for a slightly larger SUV to replace my x5 right now.  A lower optioned X7 would otherwise be perfect for our needs, and almost in our price range.  But I just can't get past what they've done to that grill!  I don't think the 21 - 22 inch wheels do much to help it either... 

Thanks all for your feedback and quick response. 

I totally get the point from those who race and need to find reasonably priced replacements, and those who would like to replace theirs but understandably don't want to pay what a decent set of early replacement grills cost. I can't make any commitments on what the cost will end up being, but the whole point is to make a part available that is too scarce and expensive for most of us to find or afford otherwise.    

I will be seeing by friend on Friday and will share this and any other inputs I get with him.  If he decides to go forward with this, I will keep you all updated as things progress.

Thanks again!

Crash 

17 hours ago, Mike G said:

Without a price point it’s hard to say. I’d be more interested in a billet grill produced by the friend with the cnc 

Your point is well taken on the price point.  But Interesting thought about manufacturing a billet grill... I will float that with my friend.  I know Ireland sells a laser cut set of early model replacement grills designed for race cars.  Are you thinking of something a little more polished for a street car that looks more like the original?  

59 minutes ago, Crash513 said:

Your point is well taken on the price point.  But Interesting thought about manufacturing a billet grill... I will float that with my friend.  I know Ireland sells a laser cut set of early model replacement grills designed for race cars.  Are you thinking of something a little more polished for a street car that looks more like the original?  

yeah, basically the looks of stock but with the durability of billet. I know it’ll be more expensive than a printed plastic version but I think if he turned out a quality product there would be a market for it considering NOS sets are around $1500. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crash513 said:

LOL... Ironically I'm shopping for a slightly larger SUV to replace my x5 right now.  A lower optioned X7 would otherwise be perfect for our needs, and almost in our price range.  But I just can't get past what they've done to that grill!  I don't think the 21 - 22 inch wheels do much to help it either... 

Unfortunately looks like all new BMW's are getting the giant grill treatment.  Spy shots of the new m3 are downright scary.

Count me out of any new BMW...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joelm2 said:

From Sacramento here as well, fixing up a 1969 2002.

What I think would be cool is if someone could 3D print a fuse block that used the newer blade type of fuses. Is that a possibility?

JM

If this works out with the grills, I don't see why not.  I'll float the idea.  But I think we need to walk before we run.  In any case thanks for your suggestion.  Nice to know another local guy in the '02 world.  There are a number of us around Sac.