• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 2002tii with Behr a/c - repair or remove?

GC-CA

I have a non-working Behr a/c in my '74 tii.  The repair to get it working is costly so thinking about removing it and replacing the console with a standard long console.  I'm looking for opinions on the value of the a/c option and if it adds significant value to the car (rare)?  I don't really care for it much but thought I'd ask around to see if removal is a detriment to the car.  If i remove, I will keep all components just in case.

Anyone wish to chime in with an opinion?

GC

If the evaporator fan works, then you can change out the elements in front of the firewall with a rotary compressor and parallel tube condenser and get an updated 70's AC.  (Note I did not say modern)

If the blower is out, it is a Bosch motor.  Need gear pullers to pull the cages off.  Another thought is that the blower in the first gen and possibly 2nd, 3 series appears to use the same blower unit.  The Real OEM search shows the 3 series unit as a re-numbering of the Behr 2002 blower.  The 3 unit tipped the AC 90 degrees to use the same outside air intake as the heating, rather than drawing from the footwell.   Euro 320's without AC had a console similar to non-AC 2002's.

Welcome.

After lengthy discussion, I believe the hive mind decided that the value of the AC depended solely on where on lives.

If you're not an AC person, remove it and put it in a box on the shelf so that when you sell it you can say,"Here are all the AC parts."  Less weight, less drag on the motor...

But to reinforce what Andrew said, are you keeping it for a while or selling it?

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I pulled mine and all its components, inside and out. I also pulled my console as I like the non-console look. I also like the weight savings. Of course, I kept everything for future owners.

Bear in mind however, I don't really have the need for A/C where I live. 

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

I pulled mine and all its components, inside and out. I also pulled my console as I like the non-console look. I also like the weight savings. Of course, I kept everything for future owners.

Bear in mind however, I don't really have the need for A/C where I live. 

"Behr in mind however..." ?

I kept the Behr AC in the blue car but have yet to modernize it with a new Sanden. If I was to remove it, I would do as others did and keep it in a box for the next owner. I like the console looks personally - and my goal is to have it working again even if it is less than satisfactory AC performance.

~Jason

Edited by JsnPpp
added AC thoughts
  • Haha 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

@GC-CA what exactly needs to be fixed? I'm in a similar situation – bought a Behr unit from a FAQer, but the fan won't spin. I need to decide if I should try to fix it, try to find a replacement blower, or go in a different direction.

Josh

1970 Granada 2002

Common opinion is its a personal preference and no rare value given to the a/c option...you guys pretty much echo where my heads at.    I don't want to sell the car, would prefer no a/c (even living in N Cal) and like the look of the long console better than the Behr version.  I'm pulling it.  My car is missing the compressor, don't know if the evap fan works or not but at least the fan/blower works with original knobs and switches so I will keep all.

Thanks again for your input...really helped me to get aligned in the right direction

GC

• Like 1

I pulled mine, but I live in the rainy, cold, wet Pacific NW. Sold many of the parts. Lighter now. 

re-used the console, with a custom face plate (purchased on FAQ from someone, can't remember who). 

When I had the car in Florida, I did use the AC, and it did do an OK job, once on the freeway and cruising along. In city, not so much. 

my 2002 gauges faceplate.jpg

34 minutes ago, iinca said:

why? you'll thank yourself after you drive it in the heat! These cars act like ovens with all the 'greenhouse exposure'.

Add a better fan and condensor and your golden!

Don't listen to all the I never need AC people...they're crazy and 'Larry'

Or just tint the damned windows! :)  Up here at elevation the car was a cooker, couldn't take the dog in the summer at all.  Any kind of tint knocks most of the heat out so it doesn't have to be super dark...

And who's Larry?  Fred I know, but Larry?

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I highly recommend keeping the AC for the future caretaker of your car.

if you want to remove it, keep the system on the shelf.

Rob Siegel’s latest book, “Just needs a recharge” is a great primer on how to get your AC going again.

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

39 minutes ago, fastricky said:

I'm a huge fan of A/C in an '02 with modern compressor, etc - a game changer for this camper.

Apparently you're not driving fast enough with the rear vent windows open, Rich.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

14 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Apparently you're not driving fast enough with the rear vent windows open, Rich.

Ha Nick! I can speak from a recent August trip where I drove in one direction straight from NYC to Chicago with operating A/C, and then had to do the majority of the return leg with the A/C no longer operating. Both drives were at a solid 80-85 mph (where there wasn't construction logjams). When I got to Chicago I was reasonably alert and relaxed. Back to NYC I was tired and shot. I guess it depends somewhat what kind of driving you plan on doing but for me trying to drive at high speed with windows open is not comfortable, very noisy and ultimately very fatiguing.

• Like 1