Djthom

2781974, your engine is calling

14 posts / 429 viewsLast Reply

Hi All.  My car has a replacement 1974 tii engine 2781974 installed.  I'm fortunate to have the original engine that I'm going to rebuild and install.  Just posting in case someone down the road is looking for their lost matching engine....

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Djthom said:

Hi All.  My car has a replacement 1974 tii engine 2781974 installed.  I'm fortunate to have the original engine that I'm going to rebuild and install.  Just posting in case someone down the road is looking for their lost matching engine....

Kinda cool that a 1974 Tii would be number 1974 off the line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

Kinda cool that a 1974 Tii would be number 1974 off the line. 

Kind of like stupid bids on BaT.

:D

2 hours ago, ray_ said:

Them bids be tributes to a better car

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Booger32 said:

I'm always looking for 2780925 !

Steve

The chassis? The engine? Or both?

Here’s my recommendation:

1.) Send an email to BMW Group Archives with the VIN, 2780925, and request their data on the car. The email is [email protected]

2.) When you receive their reply, create an entry for VIN 2780925 in this forum’s Registry. Complete the entry from the data you receive from Archives and any other reliable information you have with respect to the car, e.g., factory sunroof. Place a copy of the Archives email in the entry.

3.) State in the entry that you are looking for whatever: chassis, engine, or both. Provide some contact information, even if it is simply “if you have knowledge of this _______, contact me by PM to my forum username”. 

You have nothing to lose.

Regards,

Steve

Hey Steve, 

I'm just looking for the engine. The engine in it now is a blank pad factory replacement. Never know, It might show up somewhere. It spent it's life between Atlanta and Huntsville only. (Sold new in Atlanta).

BMW archives told me it was made Jan 11, 1974, Fjord blue.

I'll try posting to the registry.

thanks, Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Booger32 said:

Hey Steve, 

I'm just looking for the engine. The engine in it now is a blank pad factory replacement. Never know, It might show up somewhere. It spent it's life between Atlanta and Huntsville only. (Sold new in Atlanta).

BMW archives told me it was made Jan 11, 1974, Fjord blue.

I'll try posting to the registry.

thanks, Steve

I don’t mean to strangle the hope for finding the original block, Steve, but many of the factory-reconditioned engines — if yours is that and not a new replacement block — were done on an exchange basis, with the original block, after the swap, being shipped back to BMW for reconditioning (which included grinding old engine numbers off).

Most (all?) factory exchange blocks/engines, however, have date, serial number, and other stampings somewhere on the block. If it’s not on the engine number boss — and yours is obviously not — the next most common location for the stampings is along the narrow shelf, just below the head, at the rear of the block. I’m currently having some teething problems with forum posts, but I’ll attach a photo when that capability returns.

Regards,

Steve

At one time, I believe you and I talked about the block numbers. There are numbers on the rear shelf but my memory eludes me. I'll have to look at them again. I think I even have a pic of them on my phone. 

They engine pad(boss) is ground and and 2 '+' s are stamped , one on each end.

On the side of the block it is embossed with a 72 date. 

Steve

This hijacked thread may have set a record.  It didn't make it beyond the OP.

• Like 1

(edited)
20 hours ago, jimk said:

This hijacked thread may have set a record.  It didn't make it beyond the OP.

I’m thinking, Jim, that we gave this thread legs and a life! If not for our hijacks, it would have dropped off Page 1 the same day it was posted, since the owner of VIN 2781974 didn’t show... 

Meanwhile, since the owner of VIN 2781974 didn’t show — and the chassis might be gone forever — I entered VIN 2781974 into our Registry, with a link to this thread.

So, if an owner comes along somewhere down the road and checks the Registry, they’ll have a convenient link to the original post. 😉

It’s kind of an eHarmony for tii’s separated from their engines... 😋

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Steve,

Thanks for the Registry info. I just posted a picture of my car and info on original engine search.

Thanks, Steve

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 4:07 PM, ray_ said:

(bids €10 on a roundie)

56 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

(bids €10 on a roundie)

why I oughta... :P