• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some guidance on hours to do rear....

Scottjeffrey

are you asking about shop rate?  DIY rate?  there are some special tools needed to do several of those jobs.  is the rusty/dirty? (takes longer)  have these parts been apart in the last 40 years?  (if not, takes longer)  there are also "while you are in there" considerations.  time to just do the minimal work list or will improvements/cleaning be done to make the car better while in there?

that is a solid weekend's worth of work.  a day if everything is clean and loose.  a week if everything is 40 years old and you want it to look nice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2xM3

What he said... and since I see "rear bearings" and "new cv boots" (which imply disassemble/regrease of all cv) then I'd assume you want the larger of the options. Shop rates for "while you're in there" can add up. If I had only that job to do and gave all my time to it it was probably a weekend of work with hand tools. Degreasing/cleaning/painting/drying took the most time.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

At least the same as my front subframe estimate, and don't forget the cleaning and servicing the differential, it's carrier, rear carrier bushings, etc. Brake lines? Rebuilding brakes? How are the E-brake lines? Those stupid things took forever because they were jammed in the tubes.

Again, it depends on your level of detail and involvement. I sanded, treated and painted my subframe. Plus, I found a few rust holes in it that needed cutting and welding. It would be expensive to have someone else do the whole job.

Actually, not sure why you're asking Scott. You did the same for the front and ended up doing it all yourself. This is the same. Just drop it and go. You can't do it in a weekend, at least I can't. Took me weeks of intermittent attention, but I was new at it.

GL

Nick

• Thanks 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

51 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

Zambo (member) recently did complete rear suspension and drive. 

BTW, are you finished with front suspension? Do you mind share a few pics? 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/201295-what-did-you-do-to-your-2002-today/?&page=322#comments

Hi Buckeye. Everything is waiting to go back together up front. I got held up by a parts supplier on the rubber boots that go inside the strut assembly. Ended up going to my local BMW dealer who ordered them from Germany. 5-10 days. There wasn't single one in the states. Thinking I might as well get started on the rear. It looks like a pain in the ass because of tools I lack such as a air gun and flange puller. I shall succeed! Thanks for the info on Zambo. 

Best Regards,

Scott

3 hours ago, NYNick said:

At least the same as my front subframe estimate, and don't forget the cleaning and servicing the differential, it's carrier, rear carrier bushings, etc. Brake lines? Rebuilding brakes? How are the E-brake lines? Those stupid things took forever because they were jammed in the tubes.

Again, it depends on your level of detail and involvement. I sanded, treated and painted my subframe. Plus, I found a few rust holes in it that needed cutting and welding. It would be expensive to have someone else do the whole job.

Actually, not sure why you're asking Scott. You did the same for the front and ended up doing it all yourself. This is the same. Just drop it and go. You can't do it in a weekend, at least I can't. Took me weeks of intermittent attention, but I was new at it.

GL

Nick

I am considering taking it to a local older BMW guy because I was just offered a job which would require the car being on the road. I currently work across the street from my house. No traffic, lol. I hope all is well with you, Nick and thanks for the help as always.

Scott

I had my guy here in Orlando drop the sub frame and replace all bushings, added toe-in and camber adjustment refresh and re seal diff and paint the whole thing. I think it was around $1000.  

• Thanks 1

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

24 minutes ago, Mike_R said:

I had my guy here in Orlando drop the sub frame and replace all bushings, added toe-in and camber adjustment refresh and re seal diff and paint the whole thing. I think it was around $1000.  

Sounds cheap. Nice!

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

5 hours ago, Mike_R said:

that was a screamin' deal.  

• Like 1

2xM3

On 12/1/2019 at 12:34 PM, Scottjeffrey said:

Hi, I am looking for an informed, ballpark estimate for hours of labor to;

-drop the rear subframe

-change trailing arm bushings

-sub mount bushings

-Rear bearings

-new cv boots

-reinstall subframe

Thanks very much. It would be of enormous help to me.

Best Regards,

Scott

In the while you are at it category, replace the brake flex hoses if you haven't already.  I did urethane bushings for the trailing arms, but did a stock subframe mount with the I.E poly insert.   It has a nice firm ride that I like,  and at least in my case I don't find it too noisy. 

• Thanks 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

From someone who just dropped the subframe and replaced all bushings and cleaned and painted, it took me roughly 2 weekends.  Roughly 32 hours of work.  I did not replace bearings or cv axles.  You will also add hours on top of 32 if you run into issues like seized bolts or cracked subframe mounts that need welding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1