dlacey

'Base Settings' for reconstructed 02turbo

6 posts / 663 viewsLast Reply

All,

I am getting to the point where i will start-up my rebuilt 02turbo for the first time. I can find various documentation on tuning and adjustment of the fuel system on the car, but i am still confused about initial settings.

I know & understand the setup of a standard tii kugelfischer, so i expect for the 02turbo the same drill is followed: Lock the pump at the first indent with the 5mm rod, loosen the throttle shaft clamp, back off the tuna can idle screw and push the D cam against a 4mm rod before clamping the throttle shaft. But what about the altitude compensator? Is there an initial setting for that thing? At the moment its still in the as-found setting...i cleaned it up but didnt adjust it.

The Kugel pump on this car is 'new' rebuilt unit from Mike Lucas - so must assume thats in 'factory condition' and that other parts need to be adjusted to sync with that.  

Seems to me there are two methods of adjusting mixture on these cars: the altitude compensator bellows nut or the tuna can throttle stop.

Where to start?

dave

I would start with the basic setup you have. The standard Tii linkage adjustment and starting with the Altitude Compensator in the “as run” condition is at least a good starting point.  Don’t get too carried away getting the “perfect idle” right away, just make sure it is running well and not too rich while you put a few miles on it.  The final adjustments need to start with full throttle mixture as you might need to adjust the Verboten Screw ( which changes EVERYTHING) once you have that then work on idle and light throttle using the AC and tuna can adjustments.  

• Thanks 1

I just wrote a detailed explanation which was deleted by a "stop script" issue with this site.

But begin with this Service Bulletin 11 02 74 (862)e.

I'll endeavor to do a write up in more detail, but I really need to know:

Do you have a Lambda sensor?

What gas are you using?

Do you have the distributor curve?

And of course, I'll ask but know you probably don't have the P curves for the pump.

Ted

Service Bulletin 11 02 74 (862)e Turbo Injection Design.pdf

2 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Do you have a Lambda sensor?

What gas are you using?

Do you have the distributor curve?

And of course, I'll ask but know you probably don't have the P curves for the pump.

Lamda: I will fit a WideBand 02 with 4.9 sensor, but only plan to utilise once i am in a 'fine tuning' phase.

Gasoline: Locally I can get RON 95 and RON 97.... a few places sell RON 100... I will use RON 97 due to local availability.

No, i don't have any dizzy curve, its a low miles standard dizzy, cleaned/lubed & reassembled.

I dont have any pump calibration data.

Thanks for the english service document

I recommend you install the Lambda from the start, so you will KNOW how your initial settings work and where to go from there at idle, mid throttle(s) and full boost full load; not that you should do that on  a new engine.

OK RON 97, does it have Ethanol in it?

I also highly recommend that you have your distributor curve checked; low mileage really means little as the springs can become weakened just over time.

If you can't have it checked, then you can do that with an advance timing light. Check the advance at at least 500 RPM increments to 3000 RPM.

Check too, the Boost retard action.

It should fit within the parameters of the below:

Weak springs can allow too much advance at the lower RPMs which will be problematic in trying to tune for the idle. A common problem is that each time you rev the engine from idle, the timing changes as it returns to idle, making it difficult to tune; e.g. the idle changes with each rev-up and return to idle.

This can also be the case if your linkages have slop or if the bushings for the D cam in your throttle body are worn.

1222063130_TurboDistributorCurve.thumb.jpg.849cc61f4043f59705227d181d65e1cf.jpg

I figured that your injection pump rebuilder wouldn't produce the output curves, but just wanted to know; its a chronic misstep on their part, as well as "them" not requiring the altitude compensator in order to calibrate the pump.

See the pictures of the injection pump curves so you can see the difference between two rebuilders of the same pump. The "As Received" rebuild would barely run at idle and was horrible to tune. I then sent the pump to Precision who re-calibrated the pump.

My point being is that ANY rebuilder who thinks the Turbo pump is the same as a Tii is not versed in the Turbo pump.

2103568085_TurboPumpasReceived.thumb.jpg.3bf7d556b555a11624c27077babf352b.jpg

99142132_TurboPumpSpec.thumb.jpg.358f75158db3ce19bca4170741c39edd.jpg

But we work with what we have and try to make the best of it.

Let's start there, and let me know if you have any questions.

HTH

TeD

• Thanks 1

All,

Some updates: i checked-out the distributor with a timing light...it seems to be behaving per spec.

What I've learned is that the operation of the turbo injection pump is quite different and more 'dynamic' than that on a tii. In the service bulletin I was initially surprised by the few words devoted to throttle butterfly  (tuna can) setting... on a tii this is the heart of adjustment for good running behaviour. The service bulletin (above) just says something like the butterfly screw should be screwed in until the thottle valve is opened sufficiently to warm up the engine (part 2d). This vagueness confused me...each 1/8 turn of this screw is critical for  tii performance...here it just said 'screw it in sufficiently'.

As the 2nd last paragraph on Page 1 says, the turbo pump is reacting to manifold pressure, not engine speed. This is the key to understanding.

I tried tuning like a tii, opening the throttle air valve to weaken the mixture...but on the turbo it doesnt work...the revs just rise & rise. Now i understand why - the pump is dynamically reacting to the change in manifold pressure & adjusting the fuelling...so, as i opened the air valve the pump added more fuel...it didnt go weak.

In many ways this system is simpler and more 'automatic' than the tii one, its certainly much less sensitive to mechanical adjustment/alignment between pump and throttle body... its simply using MAP or something like it.

So, where are we now?: Its starting & idling well, hot start & cold start OK. Its time to move the car under its own power for the first time in ~20 yrs this weekend..Still some time before I can explore revs & power as I have no windscreen yet.

• Like 1