• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Genuine Alpina 2002

ClassDavid

Price: $15000

Description:

1970 BMW 2002 Alpina

Yes this car is the real deal! This car was sent to Alpina straight from the factory where Alpina did their magic!

Alpina verified this through email which is awesome. Its still in their system.

I’ve had a lot of question what an Alpina car entails. Basically Alpina was a fairly small tuner company in Germany (keep in mind this was before they won the euro touring car championship in fall 1970 that really put their name out) They had their own race team and you could buy performance parts or choose to have your car built by them. This was quite expensive and very few cars have been built by them and still exist. (I’ve been able to track down three similar era cars) This is definitely a higher option car having 150hp, Different wheels, brakes, and interior upgrades including a roll bar!

Alpina upgrades include

Ti struts

Ti brake booster

Vented rotors

Roll bar

Alpina gage cluster and auxiliary group of three gauges

150HP Engine. 300 degree cam 10.2:1 compression pistons Weber 45s, Alpina headers, Ti style air cleaner

13”x5.5 borrani Wheels

Bilstein shocks and Alpina springs

One of two ordered by the German owner of T&T Calgary back in 1970. Its the sister car to this

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/243862-needle-in-haystack-1970-2002-alpina/

Was hillclimbed in Calgary and then disappeared until 2019. Last sold in 1989. Very rare and cool car.

So pictures tell best but it is definitely a a project! Has all Typical 02 rust and unfortunately flairs were added in the 80’s.

It does come with rust free rear struts, NOS front fenders, a good door, NOS rockers and some misc.

It does run! The motor has the original Head which Alpina verified through email (has correct four digit stamping) Original headers, and original hammered grey valve cover too! Very cool for those who know the early Alpina cars. Does not have the original block. I have an eight page Alpina spec list that is original to the car and very cool!

Im located just an hour away from Calgary, AB, Canada. Looking for $15,000US.

I also have a dogleg five speed (235) that is available separately  but could be included as a package deal!

ykteEL8h.jpg?1

4Tv4WtYh.jpg

oUsKkhhh.jpg?1

zfvBEZLh.jpg

puyRhxrh.jpg

wU5Q0u7h.jpg

gVLdjnXh.jpg

CuHEZZEh.jpg

mrc2HWXh.jpg

DMsAuNDh.jpg

729DAEGh.jpg

hM5aK0Jh.jpg

bmOkTL7h.jpg

Edited by ClassDavid

And I have the perfect Granada red rust free shell with all complete brand new suspension bits, all new Bilstein sport with coil over, all body work done just waiting on final paint prep and paint/assembly with clear TX title. This would be perfect to transfer all the Alpina bits from this car over to my rust free shell. 

I have not advertised anywhere yet but just a thought to people who are interested in David's car. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 7:01 PM, mccusername said:

I think it's the other way around-- you have to transfer all your rust-free bits over this Alpina shell. Gotta keep that VIN...

+1

I’m with Michael on this issue. Given the considerable rust, things may go the way of a re-body suggested by resra, but that would certainly be a sub-optimal end to this car’s story.

There are lots of ‘02’s — even in North America — that acquired Alpina bits and pieces over the last 50+ years. Moving the Alpina bits and pieces from this car to a different shell may save those bits and pieces, but it leaves behind what is most special about this car: the entire car, i.e., chassis, was originally shipped from Munich to Buchloe, where the new car was “breathed on” by the Alpina technicians. Surviving cars that visited Alpina when new are very rare, and examples that were then shipped to North America represent a tiny subset of those.

Given the actual documentation present in this instance — not simply a word-of-mouth suspicion, as is often the case — this is truly a car worth saving, an important piece of history. But whoever volunteers to assume the role of this car’s next caretaker will need to understand and be able to meet the car’s considerable needs.

Great car!

GLWS,

Steve

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Transfer the Alpina parts to a rustfree 02 shell, and it will no longer be an Alpina!  Instead, it'll just be another BMW 2002 with some period Alpina goodies on it.  Don't get me wrong, that's a cool thing to own too, but it's just not near as cool as owning an authentic Buchloe built Alpina.

This Alpina needs to be saved and saved right...

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

I think everyone missed my point and sorry for not explaining properly but here in TX you can transfer over VIN to a chassis as long as it's done properly and legally by getting law enforcement involved etc. It's called VIN reassignment (not sure what they call it in other states). Yes it is lengthy and lot of paperwork/footwork involved but it can be done perfectly legally in the state of TX and i'm sure other states too if you call the DMV in your area. 

Edited by resra

Hi David

Very cool and rare 2002! All the best too!

Hey...thanks again for the '73 Bavaria. Quite the find! Please know it is safely stored for the winter and well be very well sorted after its refurb. 

Kindest regards,

Bill Patterson

IMG_0147.jpg

• Like 1

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

Just to stoke the fire some and stir the pot a little. 

I feel I'm the guy to take on this car. And I want to, however.

1) Importing from Canada is an unknown to me which issues are hardest to overcome

2) Cost of said import to the US/California with fess and transportation. 

3) The extensive rust repair needed. As we all know what you see is just the tip of the iceberg-not being able to inspect in-person one has to assume the worst.  

4) Is the value there given the missing items like #'s match block, Aplina wheels, air box etc... -Suppose that is reflected in the price of entry for a documented car.  Much of those missing items can be sourced in time but at what cost.  

I'm conflicted. I know personally I would do this car justice as I have a parts car that was t-boned just waiting to be sliced into little pieces. 

But my inner self is telling me the multiplier here is a factor of 5 x the purchase price. Without ALL the original parts at the onset, this one is a tough call.  

We all know in a few years from now. An overly funded egomaniac who buys it and pays the man to rebuild it, and then sells at auction to some wealthy European for 6 figures, we gonna think I shoulda bought it when.  

That's where my head is at.  

how's bout you? 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Just to stoke the fire some and stir the pot a little. 

I feel I'm the guy to take on this car. And I want to, however.

1) Importing from Canada is an unknown to me which issues are hardest to overcome

2) Cost of said import to the US/California with fess and transportation. 

3) The extensive rust repair needed. As we all know what you see is just the tip of the iceberg-not being able to inspect in-person one has to assume the worst.  

4) Is the value there given the missing items like #'s match block, Aplina wheels, air box etc... -Suppose that is reflected in the price of entry for a documented car.  Much of those missing items can be sourced in time but at what cost.  

I'm conflicted. I know personally I would do this car justice as I have a parts car that was t-boned just waiting to be sliced into little pieces. 

But my inner self is telling me the multiplier here is a factor of 5 x the purchase price. Without ALL the original parts at the onset, this one is a tough call.  

We all know in a few years from now. An overly funded egomaniac who buys it and pays the man to rebuild it, and then sells at auction to some wealthy European for 6 figures, we gonna think I shoulda bought it when.  

That's where my head is at.  

how's bout you? 

Since you asked...

I imported a car out of Canada 2 years ago. It was drivable but I had it delivered. Most of the heavy lifting was done by a customs broker. Duty was 2 Pts and everything else another $1200.  All in all ,not that painful.

Definitely a cool car, but 5x $13,500 will come up short.  I recently picked up a {originally similar similar condition) 67 911 that was in restoration for 7 years. Granted Porsche parts ain't BMW parts, but you are looking for some rare ones. Non matching block is not a plus.

What is equal between Porsche and BMW, is qualified labor to essentially recreate a new car. Stripping, metalwork, prep, paint interior ,glass, electrics, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, trim, assembly and trouble shooting etc. piles up. Then there is scheduling and cash flow(drain) plus getting in queue with a competent shop.

I don't think on  this car you would want to cut corners .

There I said it.

• Like 1

It could take a couple of years to get a result but "where there is a will there is a way." Wonder if the original block is still under someone's work bench...it must be out there somewhere. If you can do the metal work and mechanicals you should go for it.

It is one of only a very few legit cars that are left.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:25 PM, Flunder said:

It could take a couple of years to get a result but "where there is a will there is a way." Wonder if the original block is still under someone's work bench...it must be out there somewhere. If you can do the metal work and mechanicals you should go for it.

It is one of only a very few legit cars that are left.

+1

Some of these cars leave a trail of their original parts behind, such as Dan’s (coloincaalpine) ‘72 tii prepped at Buchloe by Alpina. Parts are removed — sometimes by owners having no knowledge of a car’s significance — and stored in a corner.

Check out the re-discovery story of Dan’s Alpina:

I suspect we all agree that the loss of the original block is unfortunate. But, unlike a chassis, an original block is not essential to a car’s identity. If the original block cannot be located, the diminished value associated with the loss of the block should be somewhat reduced as other missing parts, e.g., an airbox, are replaced or restored.

Finding rare parts — especially at rationale prices — is part of the fun of a challenging restoration. Still can’t find a part, take an almost-complete Alpina-prepped car to a few car shows and show people your missing airbox. You will get leads to Alpina airboxes! The biggest challenge from my perspective — in this particular case — is solving the rust issues, while saving that original chassis!

I don’t know what equipment the original specs show for this car. Be aware that those flared fenders are post-Alpina, not part of the original Alpina work.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

14 hours ago, Conserv said:

.............Be aware that those flared fenders might well be post-Alpina and not part of the original Alpina work

Had that same reservation the first time this car appeared and had asked the question-are those Alpina flares? 

If not, then I would buy a set of boxed flares or pig cheeks and do it to it.   

but that's me. 

But what do I know