• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody on here have an i3?

Tdh

2K,

A model 3 is on my list, but I'm struggling with the price differential.  I have a 35 mile commute to my office each way.  That's the ONLY thing I'll be using this car for.  I hate to spend 40-50K on a Model 3, when I really don't need the range/features.  At the end of the day, its really just an appliance.to me.  

Thanks for elaborating on your specific use case. 

Get the base model 3, priced at $35,000.

Stack the following:

*federal tax credit ($1,875 if delivery by 12/31),
*state rebate (what state are you?)

*local utility rebate

*others available (research these)

disregarding the superior experience you will have over an i3 (which i’ll avoid getting into), from an appliance perspective, the model 3 is still a better way to go. 

Apples and uh, walnuts here.  The i3 does have utility, albeit at short distances, and as such is simply an 'appliance' as remarked.  The model 3 is a full blown supercar by any measure, and consumes no gas :)  Both vehicles cost a fair chunk of change and both have substantial insurance considerations.  For 50 miles one way or less with the ability to simply be charged at home, the i3 is reasonable. The model 3 is from a different paradigm -- the future!  Both super cool

44 minutes ago, Tdh said:

I'm in Georgia, and I've done 0 research on the various rebates that might be available, so thanks for pointing that out.  I'll take a harder look at the Model 3.  

is Georgia Power your local utility?

If so, they also offer a $250 rebate for installing a level 2 charger at your home:

https://www.georgiapower.com/residential/save-money-and-energy/products-programs/electric-vehicles/buying-an-ev.html

I would not purchase a new i3. I purchased a used one just off lease with 10K miles on it at half the cost of a new one. I drive a 2017 i3 between Sacramento and Stockton three days a week to work. That's more than 120 miles that I can do on one charge. My office building has five no cost EV stations that recharge the battery in 2.5 hours.  My i3 comes with a range extender for another 90 miles before filling up that I have used 2 times since May. For city driving, the mileage estimates vary quite a bit depending on how you drive. Even on the highway, if I drive between 55 and 65 in the truck lane, I get up to 160 miles on a charge on a fairly flat road. I estimate my annual gasoline savings to be roughly $3K. It's a different ride than what I have been accustomed to. Different strokes as they say. One should drive one to make sure that it fits your style and needs. And, yes, it is an appliance. More specifically, a toaster. I am enjoying mine.

• Like 1

Bought our i3 BEV in August 2018 when Costco was offering a $10k discount and lucked out when Peter Pan BMW found a Protonic Blue enroute to the States, taking delivery a month later.  We took advantage of the $7,500 federal tax credit as well as rebates from CA, PG&E, and BMW CCA.  It also came with 2 years of complimentary fast charging at EVgo, of which there are several locations in the SF Bay Area.

We primarily use the i3 for shopping around town as we have an E60 for longer distances.  It's quirky and reminds me of my 2002 in terms of utility and fun factor.  Needless to say we would buy an i3 again, maybe an i3S in Melbourne Red.

76 2002 Chamonix

06 530i Monaco Blue

18 i3 BEV Protonic Blue

87 528e Royalblau (Retired)

21 minutes ago, resra said:

If that's the case then you may as well get something like this........ don't shoot! 

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/roswell-2012-nissan-leaf-sl-only-55k/7019514753.html

I agree with Resra’s approach. There are some serious steals out there if your commute is relatively short. It would be a great way to test the waters and get yourself into an EV, cheaply. 

It’s a plus if you can charge the car at your office.