• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How messy of a situation is this?

Jinho

This one picture doesn't show any rust (weird), so so far you are winning.  More pictures to show the rest of the car?  These days there is no such thing as a complete 02 for 2 Gs.  I think you are doing well.  The engine will MOST DEFINITELY need a rebuild: $4K to $14K IMO.

Bring it back to life!  You are welcome here.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

This one picture doesn't show any rust (weird), so so far you are winning.  More pictures to show the rest of the car?  These days there is no such thing as a complete 02 for 2 Gs.  I think you are doing well.  The engine will MOST DEFINITELY need a rebuild: $4K to $14K IMO.

Bring it back to life!  You are welcome here.

+1

What Paul said^!

But I still don’t know what the deuce is a “deuce”.... ?

Looks like a “late 1971”, produced April 1971 or later.  And is it Polaris-metallic (a.k.a., silver)?  Email your car’s VIN to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request their data on the car. It’s free. If the engine number is not the same as the VIN (i.e., engine is not original), send  the engine number as well, to see where the engine originated.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

no haha, I did look under the hood. Well, dad did most of that. This is a father son build so I'm just the assistant lol.

He's more car savy I'm a bit more tech savy. This community is awesome and I'm looking forward to asking more questions

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ainia2002 said:

This is a father son build

You and your dad could not have picked a better car to work on.  You will have sooo much fun restoring it piece by piece and having something in the end that will be beautiful and heaps of fun to drive as well.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

2 hours ago, Ainia2002 said:

Payed two g's for a '71 deuce.

In the 2002 world, a 2002 is an '' '02".  A "deuce" is a '32 Ford hot rod (as in the Beach Boys song, "Little Deuce Coupe."

Looks like whatcha got is a very original '71 that hasn't been messed with much--I can see it still has the front spring spacers in place, and can see some of the emission stuff laying atop the block.  I'd wager the block is the original one--the engine number will be on a machined pad just above where the starter motor is bolted to the block--and if it matches the VIN, it's the original.

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.  If your Dad is engine savvy, him and a machine shop can make pretty short work of an engine rebuild.  Don't be shy about asking questions, lotsa knowledge on this board.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite